Virtual window for a windowless room

• Thread starter EnumaElish
  • Start date
EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Main Question or Discussion Point

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to set up a virtual window in a windowless room (or office or shop)? Google search came up with some kind of Apple or Wii set-up, has anyone tried it? Have comments on it? Does anyone have other suggestions?

[Mod: please feel free to move under Tech or other forum as appropriate.]

Answers and Replies

I like that idea. I might take my high-def webcam and set something up. Maybe projector, I don't know yet. But also offers some privacy with a view. Interesting.

Well it depends what you want. If you just want a view out over a city (like a sky scraper style view) then a standard picture would do it.

But if you want something like looking through a shop window onto a busy street then you'd want a HD camera and a good quality monitor.

To get it to work, all you really need is an LCD TV and HD camera. Just plug the camera in to the TV (assuming the setup is local).

A Wii is just going to complicate things. Don't know why your Apple specific.

EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Hm, a camera and a TV sounds like a good idea to explore. In effect that's a cc, I guess.

AlephZero
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I once went to a conference in Holland where the windowless conference room had a complete "artificial wall". The whole wall had fake floor-to-ceiling "windows" showing a typical Dutch landscape scene. The "windows" were back-lit so they appeared brighter than the interior lighting in the room.

Apart from the fact that the cows in the artificial fields never moved, it was certainly better than looking at a bare wall for several hours a day.

Something like http://www.rationalcraft.com/Winscape.html" [Broken]?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you'd like to get fancy, you'll need a stereo HD TV, and you'll have to wear those funny glasses all the time.