1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Visual C++ or C# is better to learn ?

1. Jan 9, 2006 #1
    For the sake of getting job in ICT field, what shall i focus on ? C++ or C# ? :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2006 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

C# is a Microsoft product, and only really runs on Windows. C++ is applicable to every platform. Since the majority of web and database servers in the world do not run Microsoft operating systems, it only makes sense to learn C++. Try your best to stay away from the "Visual" part of C++, which is also Microsoft-specific.

- Warren

4. Feb 11, 2006 #3
    what about physics students? can C# cover their needs?

5. Feb 11, 2006 #4
    Python can do complex numbers and, while I'm still learning about it, it seems like the development time is much lower than c++. And python runs on pretty much any system out there, so it's very portable.

I don't really know too much about how much code a typical physics student really needs...

Wouldn't a math package like Maple or Matlab be better suited for most physics students? Not that there is anything wrong with writting your own code for solving a problem...:smile:

6. Feb 12, 2006 #5
    For complex and time consuming computer calculations, I would advise against Python as its memory management system is not as advanced as C++ although there is a patch which significantly reduces Python's memory consumption.

7. Feb 12, 2006 #6

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

C++ does not have a memory management system, sid_galt. When using Python's built-in algorithms and data structures, performance can be neck-and-neck with C++.

- Warren

8. Feb 16, 2006 #7

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

If you need to speed up your python program you can use swig. It allows you to use your c++ code in python.

http://www.swig.org/

9. Feb 16, 2006 #8
    FYI, there is a current project bringing .NET to linux. I used C# alot a few summers ago for a small web firm and really liked it.

http://www.mono-project.com

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?