Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Visual C++ or C# is better to learn ?

1. Jan 9, 2006 #1
    For the sake of getting job in ICT field, what shall i focus on ? C++ or C# ? :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2006 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

C# is a Microsoft product, and only really runs on Windows. C++ is applicable to every platform. Since the majority of web and database servers in the world do not run Microsoft operating systems, it only makes sense to learn C++. Try your best to stay away from the "Visual" part of C++, which is also Microsoft-specific.

- Warren

4. Feb 11, 2006 #3
    what about physics students? can C# cover their needs?

5. Feb 11, 2006 #4
    Python can do complex numbers and, while I'm still learning about it, it seems like the development time is much lower than c++. And python runs on pretty much any system out there, so it's very portable.

I don't really know too much about how much code a typical physics student really needs...

Wouldn't a math package like Maple or Matlab be better suited for most physics students? Not that there is anything wrong with writting your own code for solving a problem...:smile:

6. Feb 12, 2006 #5
    For complex and time consuming computer calculations, I would advise against Python as its memory management system is not as advanced as C++ although there is a patch which significantly reduces Python's memory consumption.

7. Feb 12, 2006 #6

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

C++ does not have a memory management system, sid_galt. When using Python's built-in algorithms and data structures, performance can be neck-and-neck with C++.

- Warren

8. Feb 16, 2006 #7

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

If you need to speed up your python program you can use swig. It allows you to use your c++ code in python.

http://www.swig.org/

9. Feb 16, 2006 #8
    FYI, there is a current project bringing .NET to linux. I used C# alot a few summers ago for a small web firm and really liked it.

http://www.mono-project.com

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?