Visual Pattern Recognition Test

In summary, the conversation discusses finding patterns in a set of images and predicting the missing image. The answer to the question is "all black," and the expert has found a pattern that predicts this answer. The pattern involves counting the number of white dots in specific positions in the first two rows and using this number to determine the color of the dot in the third row. The expert also mentions that there may be multiple solutions to the problem.
asmani
Untitled.jpg

Dear moderator, if the thread is irrelevant to this forum section, please move it to the right section. Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can find some pattern for all 128 possible options.

I found a nice pattern that predicts "all black", and a slightly less nice pattern that predicts "the bottom and the two right white, rest black". If you have a different answer, then you can try to find patterns for these answers.

Edit: With a small extension, I can also justify "the bottom one and the bottom right are white, the rest is black".

Likes asmani
Could you please illustrate your answer?

What do you mean by "illustrate"? Make a picture of the answer? Is the description unclear?

Explain how I got it? That would take the fun out of it. But I'll give a hint: I treated the images in the last row as result of an operation on the two images above in each case.

I'm sorry, that was bad English. I meant "Make a picture of the answer".

Can you give a hint on what type of operation? I've tried unions, intersections, symmetric differences, shifts, reflections, rotations, reversing, and some combinations of these operations, none of them worked. should I search through more combinations of these operations? Or other operations than those? You must be a genius that you found the answer in less than 10 minutes. I keep telling myself I must think outside the box, but still no results. Shouldn't be so obsessed with my intelligence...

Last edited:
mfb said:
predicts "all black"
Oh, did you mean the answer to "?" is all black? Well, that doesn't need a picture.

I found this, but it's not very nice: Each element of the first row is some reflection of the union of the other two in its column. So here is the answer:

1.jpg

asmani said:
Oh, did you mean the answer to "?" is all black? Well, that doesn't need a picture.
Yes, and I was confused why you asked for a picture. I mean, sure, I could make one, but I didn't see the point.

I don't think I found "the" answer, and I don't even think there is "the" answer. There are many answers.
What I found: For every position, count the number of white dots at this position and at the surrounding positions in the first two rows. If the number is 5 or larger, make a white dot in the third row.

As an example, consider the top spot in the first column: We have the top, top left and center dot in the first row and the top dot in the second row, for a total of 4 white dots. Smaller than 5, so this spot is black.

This algorithm leads to "all black" in the bottom right.

The two columns we have only constrain what the dot color has to be for 2 to 6 and 8, but we don't have 1 anywhere. A slight modification from the rule above: If the number is 1, or 5 or larger, make the dot white. That leads to three white dots.

Likes asmani
I understand what you mean by many answers.

That's a nice pattern, thanks!

1. What is a Visual Pattern Recognition Test?

A Visual Pattern Recognition Test is a type of cognitive assessment that measures an individual's ability to identify and understand visual patterns, shapes, and structures. It is often used in psychology and neuroscience research to assess visual perception and cognitive abilities.

2. How is a Visual Pattern Recognition Test administered?

A Visual Pattern Recognition Test is typically administered on a computer or paper-based format. The individual is presented with a series of visual patterns and is asked to identify the underlying pattern or to complete the pattern by selecting the missing piece from a set of options.

3. What skills does a Visual Pattern Recognition Test measure?

A Visual Pattern Recognition Test measures an individual's visual perception, attention to detail, problem-solving, and reasoning abilities. It also assesses one's ability to recognize and organize visual information, which is an essential skill in everyday life and various occupations.

4. Are there different types of Visual Pattern Recognition Tests?

Yes, there are various types of Visual Pattern Recognition Tests, such as the Raven's Progressive Matrices, the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale (WAIS) Visual Puzzles, and the Visual Patterns Test. Each test may have different patterns and difficulty levels, but they all measure an individual's ability to recognize visual patterns.

5. Can Visual Pattern Recognition Tests be used to diagnose learning disabilities?

While Visual Pattern Recognition Tests can be used to identify difficulties in visual perception and cognition, they should not be used as the sole diagnostic tool for learning disabilities. Other factors, such as environmental and educational factors, should also be considered in the diagnosis of a learning disability.