B Do Prime Numbers Follow a Pattern?

Hello everyone!

I was going through a simple high school level mathematics book and got to the following question:

n2 - n + 41 is a prime for all positive integers n.

You're supposed to find a counter-example and prove the statement false.

You could of course sit and enter different values for n until you get a composite number and then use that value of n as the counter-example.

But is there a way to find some pattern or rule for prime or composite numbers so that you don't have to do the work manually? This is probably a trivial question but I got curious. Thank you!

phyzguy

Science Advisor
There is no known pattern or rule for calculating prime numbers, but with a little thought you should be able to easily find a counter-example without laboriously going through numbers.

There is no known pattern or rule for calculating prime numbers, but with a little thought you should be able to easily find a counter-example without laboriously going through numbers.
Thank you!

I was going through a simple high school level mathematics book and got to the following question:

n2 - n + 41 is a prime for all positive integers n.

You're supposed to find a counter-example and prove the statement false.
It's pretty easy to find a counterexample for the formula above, if you think about it. A similar formula is the following: n2 + n + 41. This one also appears to generate prime numbers. It's a little harder than the first formula to spot why not all of its values are primes.

Uh? Simple proof? Hmm... how come... hmmm... hmmmmm...

Ah!! It's the same reason why ##n^2-n+11## also doesn't generate prime numbers!! Haha, smart problem!

phyzguy

Science Advisor
Try writing it as n(n-1) + 41. Is there a vale of n that makes it obvious this is not prime?

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
I have once checked one of the polynomials up to ##n=100## and there are indeed disproportionately many primes as results. Does anyone know why? I mean in terms of Legendre symbols or so?

Try writing it as n(n-1) + 41. Is there a vale of n that makes it obvious this is not prime?
The way I thought of this was rewriting as ##n^2 + (41-n)##

DrClaude

Mentor
The way I thought of this was rewriting as ##n^2 + (41-n)##
That's what I thought also, but @phyzguy's approach allowed me to see the solution to
A similar formula is the following: n2 + n + 41. This one also appears to generate prime numbers. It's a little harder than the first formula to spot why not all of its values are primes.

Hmm... I'm kinda missing the ##n*(n-1)+41##... how does that make it non-prime... hmm... 21*20?... 11*10?...hmm... can't be that... 41*40?... oh.. .41*40+41!!! hahaha... I got it! :biggrin: ... I'm so slow

It's actually the same thing as ##n*(n+1)+41##, I guess!

Hmm... I'm kinda missing the ##n*(n-1)+41##... how does that make it non-prime... hmm... 21*20?... 11*10?...hmm... can't be that... 41*40?... oh.. .41*40+41!!! hahaha... I got it! :biggrin: ... I'm so slow

It's actually the same thing as ##n*(n+1)+41##, I guess!
Well, maybe.
As a hint, consider that ##n^2 + n + 41 = n^2 + n + 40 + 1##, where the latter expression can be written as a perfect square trinomial for some value of n.

(Didn't read the other comments.)

I read it as "n^2 - n - 41".

-- The way it's written is more immediate, though.

Reduce the last two terms to zero by setting n equal to the quantity you're subtracting.
In this case, take:
N = 41

Just let n=41.