Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Visualizing a 3-variable function in a 3D plot -- Wolfram Math

1. Feb 24, 2015 #1
    Hey
    I have a function of x,y,z and i want to have a 3D graph of it. i was thinking maybe there is a color option that corresponds with the value of the function, something like DensityPlot in Wolfram but in 3D instead of 2D. the result should look like a box filled with semi transparent color that changes with respect to the value of the function, so that u have an idea of whats "inside", and not only whats in front of you.
    ive tried ContourPlot3D but it doesn't give me a satisfying result. any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2015 #2

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Hmmm... It sounds like you want something like this https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=4d+grapher
    I'm not really sure what a good program is to do so, but a brief skimming led me to the result that if you don't want to pay, you should make your own, and represent the 4th dimension (your dependant variable) as a color. Sorry I can't offer up anything better than that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook