VMINTEQ 3.1: How to add OH- species?

In summary, VMINTEQ 3.1 is a computer program used for geochemical modeling that allows scientists to calculate the distribution of chemical species in aqueous solutions and predict chemical reactions. To add OH- species in VMINTEQ 3.1, you can use the "ADD" command or the "DEFINE" command. The "ADD" command adds a single species at a time, while the "DEFINE" command allows for multiple species to be defined at once. The concentration of OH- species can be specified using the "EQUILIBRIUM_PHASES" or "SOLUTION" command. There is no limit to the number of OH- species that can be added in VMINTEQ 3.
Baho Ilok
I'm using the free version of VMINTEQ 3.1 and I want to simulate titration with NaOH as the titrant, but I could not find OH- on the list. Can anyone teach me how? Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I haven't used MINTEQ in ages, but I don't think you can use just OH-, it needs a counterion.

Borek said:
I haven't used MINTEQ in ages, but I don't think you can use just OH-, it needs a counterion.
Ah I figured it out! Apparently OH- is represented by a negative value of the H+. But thanks for the reply!

1. What is VMINTEQ 3.1?

VMINTEQ 3.1 is a computer program used for geochemical modeling. It allows scientists to calculate the distribution of chemical species in aqueous solutions and predict chemical reactions.

2. How do I add OH- species in VMINTEQ 3.1?

To add OH- species in VMINTEQ 3.1, you can use the "ADD" command or the "DEFINE" command. The "ADD" command allows you to add a single species at a time, while the "DEFINE" command allows you to define multiple species at once.

3. Can I add multiple OH- species at once in VMINTEQ 3.1?

Yes, you can add multiple OH- species at once using the "DEFINE" command. This command allows you to define the names, charge, and other properties of the species you want to add.

4. How do I specify the concentration of OH- species in VMINTEQ 3.1?

You can specify the concentration of OH- species in VMINTEQ 3.1 using the "EQUILIBRIUM_PHASES" or "SOLUTION" command. The "EQUILIBRIUM_PHASES" command allows you to define the equilibrium conditions, such as pH and pe, while the "SOLUTION" command defines the initial conditions for the solution.

5. Is there a limit to the number of OH- species I can add in VMINTEQ 3.1?

No, there is no limit to the number of OH- species you can add in VMINTEQ 3.1. However, it is important to consider the computational limitations of your computer when adding a large number of species.