Industrial Shelf for Standup Desk: How to Add an Extending Keyboard Shelf

  • Thread starter Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Industrial
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
member 428835
Hi PF! I'm using this cabinet as a standup desk, so my computer is on the top and my keyboard is on one of the lower shelves.

Since the shelves are covered from the top, I can't see my keyboard. I am proficient at typing without looking except when it comes to special characters. Does anyone have an idea where to buy or how to build an extending shelf that slides out?

Even if it's a "ghetto" solution, I'm all for it. (I'm just a grad student looking for a cheap, functional solution).

Thanks!
shelf.jpg
 
Attachments
  • shelf.jpg
    shelf.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 569
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you using all of the lower metal shelves? If not, pull one out and use magnets to give you an extendable shelf for your keyboard... :smile:

EDIT -- It looks like if you pull a bottom shelf out and turn it upside down with flat magnets between it and your keyboard shelf, you should end up with a pretty good adjustable keyboard shelf. Just be sure to keep your credit cards away from the magnets... :smile:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: member 428835
Keyboard Drawer... from an Office Supply store or that BIG mail order firm named after a river. USD$25 and up.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: member 428835 and anorlunda
Tom.G said:
Keyboard Drawer... from an Office Supply store or that BIG mail order firm named after a river. USD$25 and up.
Hahahaha at first I was wondering what firm you were talking about, but then I realized it was a prime idea
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Tom.G