How Is Voltage Divided in a Circuit with 3k and 4k Resistors?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the current and voltage at X and Y, and the attempt at a solution involves finding the current through the 3k and 4k resistors. The correct answer at X is found to be 6V, as there is no current through the 4k resistor resulting in no voltage drop. The resistor is then treated as an ideal wire with no resistance.
TsAmE

Homework Statement

Calculate the current i and the voltage appearing at X and Y

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found I to be 0.002A and Vy = 2V, but I am having trouble with Vx

Attempt:

I tried getting the current that goes through the 3k and 4k resistors:

Ix = V / (R1 + Rx)
= 12 / ((3 + 4) x 10^3)
= 1.71 x 10^-3 A

I then calculated the voltage on the first line after the 3k resistor:

Vx' = V(R2 + R3) / (R1 + R2 + R3)
= (12(2 + 1) x 10^3) / (3 + 2 + 1) x 10^3
= 6V

I then subtracted the Vdrop across the 4k resistor from Vx' to get the voltage at X:

Vx = Vx' - IxRx
= 6 - (1.71 x 10^-3)(4 x 10^3)
= -0.84V

but the correct answer was Vx = 6V. How can this be possible? Why isn't there a voltage drop across the 4k resistor?

Attachments

• Voltage divider 1.png
    Voltage divider 1.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 408
Physics news on Phys.org
Current through a resistor is needed to have a voltage drop. If there is current going through the 4k resistor, where is it going?

Tweedle_Dee said:
Current through a resistor is needed to have a voltage drop. If there is current going through the 4k resistor, where is it going?

It would then go to X. So if there is no current through a resistor, would the resistor be treated as an ideal wire (with no resistance) and thus the same voltage as the line?

TsAmE said:
It would then go to X. So if there is no current through a resistor, would the resistor be treated as an ideal wire (with no resistance) and thus the same voltage as the line?

Correct. Since there is no where for the current to flow through the 4k resistor, there is no voltage drop.

Your calculations for the current and voltage at X and Y are correct. However, in this voltage divider circuit, the voltage at X will always be equal to the voltage at the junction between the 3k and 4k resistors, which is 6V. This is because both sides of the circuit are connected to the same voltage source, so the voltage will be divided evenly between the two resistors. Therefore, there will be no voltage drop across the 4k resistor. Your calculations show that there should be a voltage drop, but this is likely due to rounding errors in your calculations. It is common in circuit analysis to have small discrepancies due to rounding or other factors, but the overall concept and principle of the circuit remains the same.

What is a voltage divider?

A voltage divider is an electrical circuit that divides a larger voltage into smaller voltages. It consists of two or more resistors connected in series.

Why is a voltage divider used?

A voltage divider is used to reduce the voltage level of a circuit to a desired value. It can also be used to provide biasing for electronic components.

How does a voltage divider work?

A voltage divider works by using the principle of Ohm's Law, which states that the voltage across a resistor is directly proportional to the current flowing through it. By adjusting the values of the resistors in the divider, the output voltage can be controlled.

What is the equation for a voltage divider?

The equation for a voltage divider is Vout = (R2/(R1+R2))*Vin, where Vout is the output voltage, R1 and R2 are the values of the resistors, and Vin is the input voltage.

What are some applications of a voltage divider?

A voltage divider is commonly used in electronic circuits to provide a specific voltage level for different components, such as sensors or microcontrollers. It is also used in power supplies to regulate the output voltage. Additionally, voltage dividers are used in instrumentation and measurement systems to scale down high voltages for accurate readings.