1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving for resistor values in voltage divider circuit

1. Nov 28, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So I was studying an example and the picture given simply asked to setup a voltage divider for the values without solving for resistance. However... I want to know if I'm missing something or if this can even be solved:
    I attached the problem below.

2. Relevant equations
    V1=Vs*R1/(R1+R2) VDR

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I setup the circuit with 5 resistors in series with the ground after the first 3 resistors. However, when I try to solve for a voltage drop I get -15 on one side, so can't the other side with the negative values only be 9? Is it even possible to get a voltage drop of 15 originally and end up with -15 on the other side, considering the Vs is 24 v? Or are these values just not solvable?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2016 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

(1) A 30 volt swing with a 24V supply is not possible without an active circuit.
    (2) This is a rather stupid design request since unless the current draw from each of the voltages is utterly trivial, a passive resistance divider circuit is a non-starter as a decent design mechanism.

4. Nov 28, 2016 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

For the purpose of the exercise, perhaps assume the supply is 30V.

Or for a little more challenge, assume the supply is ±24V.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted