1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltage in a 2 battery series circuit

1. Feb 13, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known dataWhat is the magnitude and direction of the current in the following circuit?
    resistance for series: Req=R1+R2+R3+R4....etc
    Kirchhoff's rules --> Loop Rule: sum of potential drops must equal sum of potential rises

3. The attempt at a solution
    1st added all the voltage drops: I(5+27+12+8) = I52
    2nd added all the Voltage rises: 30 + 10 = 40V

3rd solved for V when V=IR
    40 volts/52 ohms= I
    *since resistors are in series they experience the same current right?

my answer .77 Amps clockwise [which is wrong] the right answer is .38 Amps clockwise

My question is this: Why am i not supposed to add the voltages (30+10) together when solving this problem?? If i solve for this problem in the following way, 30V-10V = I(52ohms) then i get .38 Amps clockwise (which is right) but i don't understand why i have to subtract the voltages!:confused:

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2007 #2
    Mark the poisitive side of the cells in your image.
    Does that give you a clue?
  4. Feb 13, 2007 #3
    Yes. It seems the only logical explanation i can think of is that when 2 batteries "oppose" each others flow; then one battery will reduce the voltage of the other.
  5. Feb 13, 2007 #4
    Yes, the equivalent voltage will either be a sum or (in this case) difference of the 2 voltages. Going in a clockwise loop from A, a particle will go from low potential to high potential (+30V) and then go from high potential to low potential (-10V). If the batteries were arranged + to - in series, you could add the voltages because there would be a rise followed by another rise
  6. Feb 13, 2007 #5
    i see; i mistakenly counted the 2nd battery as a rise instead of a drop. Thanks again!
  7. May 9, 2010 #6
    i'm starring at the same problem and yet don't get how to solve it ? can anyone offer me any help?! I might have this problem on my final exam this coming monday may 10th , 2010. help please
  8. May 9, 2010 #7
    Which part do you find confusing?
  9. May 9, 2010 #8
    the kirchoff's rule as a whole. I tried solving this problem in the following way :
    R= 1/32 + 1/20 = 0.083 ohms
    I= V/R = 30/0.083= 360 amps
    which I know is wrong so what can I do, I spent the last hour watching a professor from MIt working a similar problem yet he did not show it with numbers or real answers.
  10. May 9, 2010 #9
    Resistance in series adds like this:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?