1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltage of an infinite cylinder with nontrivial reference point

1. Feb 12, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find V(r), the electric potential due to an infinitely long cylinder with uniform charge density ρ and radius R.
    Use V(r = 2R) = 0 as your reference point.

2. Relevant equations
    E at r < R = ##\frac{(ρr)}{2ε_{0}}##
    E at r > R = ##\frac{(ρR^{2})}{(2ε_{0}r)}##

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is basically simple. Just integrate the electric fields to get voltage. The only problem is figuring out the limits of integration. I BELIEVE that if you have a nontrivial reference point outside of a cylinder, you will need to integrate from r to 2R for both inside and outside. So I did this:

$$V(r < R) = \int_r^R \frac{\rho r}{2ε_{0}}dr + \int_R^{2R} \frac{\rho r}{2\epsilon_{0}}dr = \frac{\rho}{4\epsilon_{0}}(4R^{2} - r^{2})$$

$$V(r > R) = \int_r^{2R} \frac{\rho R^{2}}{2\epsilon_{0}r}dr = \frac{\rho R^{2}}{2\epsilon_{0}}ln(\frac{2R}{r})$$

Does this look right?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2014 #2
    Assuming your field calculations are correct, these look right.

4. Feb 12, 2014 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'm not following the logic behind your equations.
    For r > R, the field is ##E = \frac{\rho r}{2\pi\epsilon_0 R^2}##, yes?
    So for r > R, isn't the potential ##\int_{s=r}^{2R}\frac{\rho s}{2\pi\epsilon_0 R^2}.ds##?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted