Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume by disks, shells, or washers?

1. Sep 20, 2012 #1
    What is the easiest way to determine if the volume of a solid should be found by using disks, shells, or washers?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2012 #2
    Personally I always start with the shell method unless it is a really basic, simple shape(disk method)... But to answer ur question, I look for a hole. If there is one, then i am thinking washer, if there isnt and the solid is a very simple shape, then I go with the disk method. For the most complex shapes, i automatically go to the shell method.

4. Sep 20, 2012 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

There is no one-size-fits-all guidance here. It depends on the function/functions that bound the region being revolved. The disk and washer methods are essentially the same, with the washer method being used if the typical volume element is a disk with a hole in it.

Sometimes one method produces an integral that's easier to evaluate, and sometimes another method does.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook