Calc II - Disk vs Shell method different volumes

In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of different methods for calculating volumes of revolution and the discrepancy between the results obtained using the disk and shell methods. It is noted that using shells requires two integrals due to the changing shapes of the shells.
MonkeyDLuffy
So I'm getting ready for an exam on tuesday, and I'm using each method for volumes of revolutions for every problem but I'm not getting the same answers. So, let's use this as an example:

y = 5x; the shaded region is from [1,2]

Using the disk method (about the x-axis) I find:

R(x) = 5x; r(x) = x

V = π ∫ 25x2 dx from [1,2] = 175π / 3

Using the shell method (about the x-axis) I find:

r(y) = y/5; h(y) = y

V = 2π ∫ (y2 / 5) dy from [5,10] = 350π / 3

I'd like to know why the shell method gave me a volume that is twice that of the one I found using the disk method.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MonkeyDLuffy said:
So I'm getting ready for an exam on tuesday, and I'm using each method for volumes of revolutions for every problem but I'm not getting the same answers. So, let's use this as an example:

y = 5x; the shaded region is from [1,2]

Using the disk method (about the x-axis) I find:

R(x) = 5x; r(x) = x

V = π ∫ 25x2 dx from [1,2] = 175π / 3

Using the shell method (about the x-axis) I find:

r(y) = y/5; h(y) = y

V = 2π ∫ (y2 / 5) dy from [5,10] = 350π / 3

I'd like to know why the shell method gave me a volume that is twice that of the one I found using the disk method.
Using shells, you need to have two integrals, because the shapes of your shells are changing.

For ##0 \le y \le 5## the shell widths extend uniformly from x = 1 to x = 2. For ##5 \le y \le 10##, the shells extend from x = y/5 to x = 2. It helps to have a sketch of the solid of revolution.

Likes MonkeyDLuffy

1. What is the difference between the disk and shell method in Calculus II?

The disk and shell method are both techniques used in Calculus II to find the volume of a solid of revolution. The main difference between these two methods is the shape of the slices used to approximate the solid. The disk method uses circular slices (like a disk) while the shell method uses cylindrical shells.

2. When should I use the disk method over the shell method?

The choice between using the disk or shell method depends on the shape of the solid of revolution. The disk method is most suitable when the cross-sections of the solid are perpendicular to the axis of revolution, while the shell method is more appropriate when the cross-sections are parallel to the axis of revolution.

3. Which method is more accurate for finding volumes?

Both the disk and shell method can provide accurate approximations of the volume of a solid of revolution. However, the shell method is generally considered to be more accurate as it uses thinner slices, resulting in a more precise approximation.

4. Can I use both methods to find the same volume?

Yes, it is possible to use both the disk and shell method to find the same volume. However, it is important to note that the volume calculated using each method may differ slightly due to the difference in accuracy mentioned earlier.

5. How do I know which method to use when solving a Calculus II problem?

The method to use depends on the given problem and the shape of the solid of revolution. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and determine which method would be most appropriate. It is also recommended to practice solving problems using both methods to become familiar with their applications.