Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume element for null hypersurface

1. May 12, 2014 #1
    hi every body
    Consider we have a null hypersurface. how we can calculate volume element on it?

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2014 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

You can define a volume element on a null surface in terms of an affine parameter along the null generators. But it won't be unique.

4. May 12, 2014 #3
    how can i do it?
    is it possible to introduce a book or an article for more detail?
    I studied Advanced General Relativity By Eric Poisson. In this book, there is a few material.

5. May 12, 2014 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. May 12, 2014 #5

Bill_K

Science Advisor

7. May 12, 2014 #6
    exactly i Studied this section of Poisson's book
    , but here he defined a directed volume element
    I don't know how to calculate volume element exactly.

8. May 12, 2014 #7

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Then this should have been stated immediately. It shouldn't take us 6 posts to discover what it is you are actually looking for, and the fact that you already had an answer in hand and were dissatisfied with it.

9. May 13, 2014 #8
    My question is clear. I want to find a way to calculate volume element of null hypersurface. Isn't it?
    In Poisson's book,there is a way to find out directed volume element.
    In this book, there is a little description about volume element of null hypersurface.
    OM, It was better to tell what I studied Poisson before and have a question. you're right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook