Volume element for null hypersurface

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of a volume element on a null hypersurface. The participants mention the possibility of defining a volume element using an affine parameter along the null generators, but note that it may not be unique. They also discuss a book by Eric Poisson that includes related material in Section 3.2. However, the asker is still unsure about how to calculate the volume element and expresses dissatisfaction with the answer provided in Poisson's book. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to clarify the question and provide more information about the asker's previous studies in order to find a satisfactory solution.
sadegh4137
hi every body
Consider we have a null hypersurface. how we can calculate volume element on it?

Physics news on Phys.org
sadegh4137 said:
Consider we have a null hypersurface. how we can calculate volume element on it?
You can define a volume element on a null surface in terms of an affine parameter along the null generators. But it won't be unique.

how can i do it?
is it possible to introduce a book or an article for more detail?
I studied Advanced General Relativity By Eric Poisson. In this book, there is a few material.

Section 3.2 from "A Relativist`s Toolkit" by Poisson might be useful; draft version at

http://www.physics.uoguelph.ca/poisson/research/agr.pdf.

George Jones said:
Section 3.2 from "A Relativist`s Toolkit" by Poisson might be useful; draft version at

http://www.physics.uoguelph.ca/poisson/research/agr.pdf.
Yes, very good! See Eq (3.2.7)

exactly i Studied this section of Poisson's book
, but here he defined a directed volume element
I don't know how to calculate volume element exactly.

sadegh4137 said:
exactly i Studied this section of Poisson's book
, but here he defined a directed volume element
I don't know how to calculate volume element exactly.
Then this should have been stated immediately. It shouldn't take us 6 posts to discover what it is you are actually looking for, and the fact that you already had an answer in hand and were dissatisfied with it.

My question is clear. I want to find a way to calculate volume element of null hypersurface. Isn't it?
In Poisson's book,there is a way to find out directed volume element.
In this book, there is a little description about volume element of null hypersurface.
OM, It was better to tell what I studied Poisson before and have a question. you're right.

Related to Volume element for null hypersurface

1. What is a volume element for null hypersurface?

A volume element for null hypersurface is a mathematical concept used in the study of space-time in general relativity. It is a mathematical tool used to measure the volume of a region on a null hypersurface, which is a surface in space-time representing the boundary between regions of space-time with and without matter or energy.

2. How is a volume element for null hypersurface calculated?

A volume element for null hypersurface is calculated using the metric tensor, which is a mathematical object that describes the geometry of space-time. The metric tensor is used to calculate the area of a null hypersurface, which is then integrated to obtain the volume element.

3. What is the importance of a volume element for null hypersurface?

A volume element for null hypersurface is important in the study of general relativity because it allows us to measure the volume of a region on a null hypersurface. This is useful in understanding the geometry and dynamics of space-time, as well as in solving Einstein's field equations.

4. Can a volume element for null hypersurface change over time?

Yes, a volume element for null hypersurface can change over time. This is because the geometry of space-time can change over time, which can affect the area of a null hypersurface. This change in the volume element is important in understanding the evolution of space-time.

5. How is a volume element for null hypersurface related to black holes?

A volume element for null hypersurface is related to black holes because it is used in the study of the event horizon, which is the boundary of a black hole. The volume element can help us understand the properties of black holes, such as their size and mass, and can also be used in the calculation of the Hawking radiation emitted by a black hole.