Volume fraction of multiple phases

In summary, James is seeking help with his final year project on the effect of heat treatment on in17. He has found that the phases in his material are difficult to distinguish using XRD, so he is planning to use SEM images and a program like Imagen to identify the four phases present. He is also considering using EDS or imageJ for this purpose.
jblakes
Afternoon all,

Hopefully somebody can help me, I'm doing my final year project and it's looking at the effect of heat treatment on in17, when I run an XRD scan I found that I all the phases sort of hid behind the matrix and so can't really make them out.

So I've been looking at using the SEM images I have and using imagen or similar to find out VF, problem is I have at least Four phases within the material. Does anybody know a program that you can work out the four phases? Most seem to only allow two as it just identifies white/grey not the different shapes of grey.

Kind regards
James

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you able to produce a series of cross sections in the material? Does the surface of your sample have a different composition than the interior?

Might find something here.

Last edited:
Yeah I can do, I currently have a sample that's 20x40mm.

The treatment is for homonegisation of the material so should be the same, over time I am expecting to see an increase in delta phases and gamma prime and a decrease in laves phase.

I have tried XRD but for some reason only showed the matrix peaks even though there should be 15/20% of at least two other phase. Gonna try edsd and hope that picks it up.

Anybody used imageJ? Can you find more than two phases with the colour changes?

Regards James

1. What is the definition of volume fraction of multiple phases?

The volume fraction of multiple phases refers to the proportion of a given volume occupied by each individual phase in a mixture of multiple phases. It is a measure of the relative amount of each phase present in the mixture.

2. How is the volume fraction of multiple phases calculated?

The volume fraction of each phase can be calculated by dividing the volume of that phase by the total volume of the mixture. For example, if a mixture contains two phases, A and B, with volumes of 20mL and 30mL respectively, the volume fraction of phase A would be 20mL/50mL = 0.4 or 40%.

3. What is the significance of volume fraction of multiple phases in materials science?

The volume fraction of multiple phases is an important parameter in materials science as it affects the properties and behavior of materials. It can impact factors such as strength, density, and thermal conductivity, and is often used to characterize and design materials for specific applications.

4. How does the volume fraction of multiple phases affect the microstructure of a material?

The volume fraction of multiple phases can significantly influence the microstructure of a material. Higher volume fractions of a particular phase can lead to a more homogenous distribution of that phase, while lower volume fractions can result in a more dispersed or segregated microstructure.

5. Can the volume fraction of multiple phases change over time?

Yes, the volume fraction of multiple phases can change over time due to factors such as phase transformations, chemical reactions, and mechanical processes. These changes can alter the properties and behavior of the material, making it important to consider the volume fraction when studying and designing materials.