Volume of figure revolving around line

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
syeh
Messages
15
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A represents the 1st quadrant area bounded by f(x)=e^(-tanx), y=.01, y=.09, and the y-axis. Write an integral expression for the volume of the figure that results from revolving A around the line x=30.

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



So, I know that I have to integrate sideways. To do that, I tried putting the equation y=e^(-tanx) into x= form:

y=e^(-tanx)
-tanx=lny
tanx=-lny
x=invtan(-lny)

So now, I'm not sure what to to. I think you have to integrate sideways somehow and then revolve it around the vertical line x=30...?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
syeh said:
Question:
A represents the 1st quadrant area bounded by f(x)=e^(-tanx), y=.01, y=.09, and the y-axis. Write an integral expression for the volume of the figure that results from revolving A around the line x=30.

Attempt:
So, I know that I have to integrate sideways. To do that, I tried putting the equation y=e^(-tanx) into x= form:

y=e^(-tanx)
-tanx=lny
tanx=-lny
x=invtan(-lny)

So now, I'm not sure what to to. I think you have to integrate sideways somehow and then revolve it around the vertical line x=30...?

You don't have to "integrate sideways." Have you drawn a sketch of the region A, and of the solid that is formed? You can integrate using washers (horizontal disks of thickness Δy) or shells (with each of thickness Δx. If you use shells, you'll need two integrals, because the upper boundary changes from a horizontal line to the curve f(x) = e-tan(x).