1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of Gasses Obtained by Electrolysis of Salt Solution

1. Sep 2, 2017 #1
    • Please post this type of questions in HW section using the template and showing your work.
    Hello everybody!

How can I calculate the volume of gasses produced by electrolysis of an aqueous solution of NaNO3 if the mass fraction of the salt changed from 40% to 60% (before electrolysis the mass fraction of the salt was 40% and after electrolysis it changed to 60%)? Pressure and temperature are 20 ºC and 99,8 kPa.

Can you help me with my problem, please!

CroSinus

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2017 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Not enough information to solve the problem - you need to know what was the initial amount of the solution.

You can at best give the answer in terms of "volume of gas produced per kg of electrolyzed mixture".

Try to assume you started with 1 kg of mixture - does it help?

4. Sep 2, 2017 #3
    Thank you very much Borek for trying to help me.
    The answer from my text book says: V(O2) + V(H2) = 169,2 dm3

5. Sep 2, 2017 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

As I said - no way of getting this answer from the information you gave in this thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted