How much of a 5 gallon 40% salt solution should be replaced

In summary, the problem asks how much of a 5 gallon 40% salt solution should be replaced with pure water to obtain 5 gallons of a 15% solution. By setting up a system of equations, it can be solved by finding the volume of 40% solution that would give the desired amount of salt and then filling the rest of the solution with pure water. However, the simplified system can also be solved without using Cramer's rule.
ducmod
Hello!
1. Homework Statement

Here is the problem I can't solve, and will be grateful for your help on this - please, guid me to the understanding of how to solve such problems. The difficulty lies in replacing some of the solution with water. It would be much easier to solve if we add water.

How much of a 5 gallon 40% salt solution should be replaced with pure water to obtain 5

gallons of a 15% solution?

I have to solve it by creating a system of linear equations.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Here are my initial thoughts, but I couldn't go beyond:

If we have 5 gallons of 40% salt solution, hence we have 2 gallons of salt in 5 gallons.
The final solution should contain 0.75 gallons of salt (5 x 0.15); therefore, I have to replace X amount of 5 gallons of 40% solution with Y amount of water to get 5 gallons of 15% solution.

X + Y = 5
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
ducmod said:
Hello!
1. Homework Statement

Here is the problem I can't solve, and will be grateful for your help on this - please, guid me to the understanding of how to solve such problems. The difficulty lies in replacing some of the solution with water. It would be much easier to solve if we add water.

How much of a 5 gallon 40% salt solution should be replaced with pure water to obtain 5

gallons of a 15% solution?

I have to solve it by creating a system of linear equations.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Here are my initial thoughts, but I couldn't go beyond:

If we have 5 gallons of 40% salt solution, hence we have 2 gallons of salt in 5 gallons.
The final solution should contain 0.75 gallons of salt (5 x 0.15); therefore, I have to replace X amount of 5 gallons of 40% solution with Y amount of water to get 5 gallons of 15% solution.

X + Y = 5
Thank you!

You need to replace X gallons or 40% solution with X gallons of pure water, to keep the volume at 5 gallons.

Likes ducmod
You already figured out how much salt you want.
What volume of 40% solution would give you that much salt?
Keep that much in there, and fill the rest up with pure water.

Likes ducmod
RUber said:
You already figured out how much salt you want.
What volume of 40% solution would give you that much salt?
Keep that much in there, and fill the rest up with pure water.
Oh ) Thank you very much! Had a "writer's block" yesterday )
0.4x = 0.75
x = 1.875 the amount of 40% solution in the final 15% solution
5 - 1.875 = 3.125
I don't see, though, why would I need to construct a system of linear equations, and then turn them into a matrix to solve with Cramer's rule

If you were going to build a system of equations, you would do something like:
## \frac{0.40x + 0y }{x+y} = 0.15 \\ x+y = 5, ##
where x is the volume of 40% solution and y is the volume of pure water.
To write this as a matrix equation, it would look like:
##\begin{bmatrix} 0.4& 0 \\ 1 & 1 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} x\\ y \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} .75\\ 5 \end{bmatrix}##
However, this is a very simple system and you were able to solve it without using Cramer's rule.
The simplified system works out to exactly what you did above:
##0.40 x = .75\\ x+y = 5.##

Likes ducmod

1. How do you calculate the amount of salt solution that needs to be replaced?

To calculate the amount of salt solution that needs to be replaced, you first need to determine the percentage of the solution that needs to be replaced. In this case, it is 40%. Then, you multiply 40% by 5 gallons to get 2 gallons. Therefore, 2 gallons of the 5 gallon solution should be replaced.

2. Why does only a certain percentage of the salt solution need to be replaced?

The reason for replacing only a certain percentage of the salt solution is to maintain the desired concentration of the solution. Over time, the concentration of the solution may change due to evaporation or other factors, so replacing a portion of it helps to keep the concentration consistent.

3. How often should the salt solution be replaced?

The frequency of replacing the salt solution depends on how often it is used and the rate of evaporation. It is recommended to check the concentration of the solution regularly and replace a portion of it as needed to maintain the desired concentration.

4. What happens if too much or too little of the salt solution is replaced?

If too much of the salt solution is replaced, the concentration of the solution will decrease, potentially affecting the results of any experiments or processes that require a specific concentration. If too little is replaced, the concentration may become too high, leading to inaccurate results as well.

5. Can the replaced portion of the salt solution be reused?

Yes, the replaced portion of the salt solution can be reused. However, it is important to first check the concentration of the solution and adjust it if necessary before reusing it. It is also recommended to replace the entire solution after a certain number of uses to maintain its effectiveness.