Volume of Region Bounded by x^2+2y^2=2, x+y+2z=2

  • Thread starter Thread starter jonroberts74
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Volume
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
jonroberts74
Messages
189
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


find volume of the region bounded by [tex]x^2+2y^2=2;z=0;x+y+2z=2[/tex]





The Attempt at a Solution



I figure "slicing" in the z=0 direction would be the easiest

the first issue I am having is the upper bound of z, it definitely seems to be 2 but but it's not making sense at the moment how to get that


when I slice with the z=0 plane I get an ellipse

y is on the interval [-1,1] and then getting x in terms of y
[tex]-\sqrt{2-2y^2} \le x \le \sqrt{2-2y^2}[/tex]


so from that I get the setup

[tex]\int_{0}^{2}\int_{-1}^{1}\int_{-\sqrt{2-2y^2}}^{\sqrt{2-2y^2}}dxdydz[/tex]

I feel that is correct but the part mostly bothering be is the upper bound of z.

using x+y+2z=2 I can see the intercepts for x,y,z are 2,2,1. this is where I am getting stuck
 
Physics news on Phys.org
x+ y+ 2z= 2, which is equivalent to z= 1- x/2- y/2, is the upper bound. Since that involves both x and y, that should be the first integral, not the last.
 
HallsofIvy said:
x+ y+ 2z= 2, which is equivalent to z= 1- x/2- y/2, is the upper bound. Since that involves both x and y, that should be the first integral, not the last.

[tex]\int_{-1}^{1}\int_{-\sqrt{2-2y^2}}^{\sqrt{2-2y^2}}\int_{0}^{1- x/2- y/2}dzdxdy[/tex]

more like that then?