1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of the Solid bounds and integral

1. Apr 6, 2013 #1
    Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating about the y-axis the region bounded by the curves y= e-2x^2, y=0, x=0, x=1.

Should the bounds for the problem be taken from the y-axis or the x-axis?

I think that the integral for this problem would be:

∏∫(e-2x^2)dx , is this correct

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That would be the same as ∏∫ydx, which is clearly wrong.
    You need to decide how you want to carve up the volume. You could do it in discs centred on the y axis, but that gets a bit messy because the integral falls into two parts (and it will involve logs). More natural is to carve it into cylinders centred on the y axis.

4. Apr 7, 2013 #3
    Carving it into cylinders still uses the ∏∫R^2dx formula, right? and then my bounds would be on the y axis?

5. Apr 7, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, but what is R in this case?
    No. Each cylinder is centred on the y axis. What are its height, radius and thickness?

6. Apr 7, 2013 #5
    would r be the formula but solved for x?

7. Apr 9, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't know what you mean by that question. r is not much of a formula.
    If you take a slice from y = 0 to y = f(x), and from x to x+dx, in the xy plane, then rotate it around the y axis, what do you get? What is its volume? What integral would you write to add up all these volumes between x = 0 and x = 1?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted