1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume preserving mapping in R^3

1. Jan 7, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find all [tex]\mathcal{C}^1[/tex] functions [tex]f(\mathbf{x})[/tex] in [tex]\mathbb{R}^3[/tex] such that the mapping [tex]\psi : \mathbb{R}^3 \to \mathbb{R}^3[/tex] also preserves volumes, where

[tex]
    \begin{equation*}
    \psi(\mathbf{x}) = \left(
    \begin{array}{c}
    x_1 \\
    x_1^2 + x_2 \\
    f(\mathbf{x})
    \end{array} \right).
    \end{equation*}
    [/tex]

Here, the mapping preserves volumes in the sense that for any Jordan domain [tex]D \in \mathbb{R}^3[/tex] the sets [tex]D[/tex] and [tex]\phi(D)[/tex] have the same volume.

2. Relevant equations

The obvious relevant equation is the Change of Variable theorem. Another one that I used was the fact that the determinant of a triangular matrix is the product of its diagonal entries.

3. The attempt at a solution

Using those two facts, I got the solution [tex]f(\mathbf{x})[/tex] has to be a continuously differentiable function of [tex]x_1, x_2[/tex] plus or minus [tex]x_3[/tex], i.e. it must be of the form

[tex]
    \begin{equation*}
    f(\mathbf{x}) = g(x_1, x_2) \pm x_3,
    \end{equation*}
    [/tex]

where [tex]g(x_1, x_2)[/tex] is a continuously differentiable function of two variables. Am I right? Can someone please help?

Thanks very much for your time.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you've got it right. Setting the Jacobian=1 gives |df/dx3|=1. That's what you did, correct?

4. Jan 9, 2010 #3
    yes, but can i take the jacobean for a nonlinear mapping like this? is the change of coordinates theorem applicable?

thanks.

5. Jan 9, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure it applies. A change of coordinates doesn't have to be linear.

6. Jan 9, 2010 #5
    it has to be bijective though, right? but now it seems to me that this *is* going to be bijective, because the first two coordinates fix x_1 and x_2, and the last one therefore fixes x_3.

am i right?

thanks fr ur help, very mcuh.

7. Jan 9, 2010 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. If you write psi(x1,x2,x3)=(a,b,c) it's pretty easy to solve for x1, x2 and x3 in terms of a, b and c.

8. Jan 9, 2010 #7
    thanks much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook