1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volumes with Cylindrical Shell Method

1. Oct 8, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use the method of cylindrical shells to find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the given curves about the x-axis.

y= 4x2, y=-2x+6

2. Relevant equations

y= 4x2, y=-2x+6

These 2 equations meet at x= -3/2 and x=1

integral from a to b of (2∏x*f(x)) dx

The answer is 250pi/3.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Been spending over an hour with this and can't figure out a way to figure this out by shells. I can do this by discs and got the answer right. However, I want to figure this out by shells. First I drew the graph of these 2 equations to find where they meet at. I then did this:

[itex]\int^{-3/2}_{1}[/itex] 2[itex]\pi[/itex]x((-2x-6)-(4x2)) dx

I put this in Wolfram and I did not get the intended answer. I work this out by hand and I am getting something very different from Wolfram. Guidance please! Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do do this problem using cylindrical shells, you need to express x as a function of y. The integral will be with respect to y. In other words, your differential has dy in it.

If the region to be rotated is indeed above y = 4x2 and below y = -2x+6, then you will need to break your integral into to pieces; one piece from y = 0 to 4, the other from y=4 to 9.

4. Oct 8, 2011 #3
    Ha I figured using y from 4 to 9 but I do not see why 0 to 4. You would be integrating the function itself. Then I don't see what you would do with the 2 integrals.

5. Oct 8, 2011 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Draw the graph.

x = ±(√y)/2

So for y = 0 to 4, use (√y)/2 - (-√y)/2

What did you use for y = 4 to 9 ?

6. Oct 8, 2011 #5
    I didn't use them, I just found the zeros and got 4 through 9 before, but I kind of didn't know what to do with it. Wouldn't the above just be √y by itself? Here is what I would do now

∫ from 0 to 4 (2πy√y)dy - ∫ from 4 to 9 (2pi*y*((√y)/2+.5y-3)dy)

Would this be right? Thanks for your assistance Sammy S.

7. Oct 8, 2011 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that's right.

8. Oct 8, 2011 #7
    Sweet! Thanks for your guidance Sammy!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook