1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational Volume Using Shell Method

1. May 24, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use the shell method to set up and evaluate the integral that gives the volume of the solid generated by revolving the plane region about the y-axis.
    y = 4 - x2
    y = 0

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Okay I understand that the region is symmetric about the y-axis, however I still don't understand why the integral 2π∫[from -2 to 2] (4x-x3)dx comes out to be 0 when I plug it into my calculator. I know that you can just do the integral from 0 to 2 and then multiply the whole thing by 2 and it comes out correctly but why does doing it from -2 to 2 come out as 0? Aren't both methods trying to calculate the same thing? Why do both get different answers? Wouldn't rotating just the region from 0 to 2 about the y-axis and rotating the region from -2 to 2 about the y-axis give you the same cylindrical solid?

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2016 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You get the wrong answer for the volume using

$$V=\int_{-2}^2(4-x^2) ⋅ xdx$$

because you have applied the shell method incorrectly. Since the region y = 4x - x2 is symmetrical about the axis of rotation, in this case the y-axis, you should have made the lower limit of integration a = 0 instead of a = -2.

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/VolumeWithCylinder.aspx

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted