1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vt=d doesn't seem to hold true w/ constant acceleration

1. Jun 17, 2015 #1
    Hello,

Lets say I start off with constant acceleration of 1 m/s^2, and I want to evaluate it at 3 seconds.

a = 1.
    a(3) = 1

then, since at=v,

v(t) = at = 1(3) = 3m/s then I can work backward v/t = a = 3/3 = 1

then, since vt = d

d(t) = vt = 3(3) = 9 then I can work backward d/t= v = 9m/3s = 3m/s

This way, the units make sense acceleration is 1 m/s/s

Take 9 meters. Divide it by 3 seconds. Then divide it again by 3 seconds. And voila, you arrive back at 1m/s/s

_______

However, if I integrate acceleration to get the kinematic equations, it all seems to fall apart and I don't know why.

[itex]\int a (dt) = at +v_0 = v_f[/itex] ,

so evaluating time = 3 with acceleration 1m/s^2,

v(3) = 1(3)+0 = 3m/s then I can work backward v/t = a = 3/3 = 1 => all good still

then

[itex]\int v (dt) = \frac{1}{2}at^2 +v_0(t)+r_0= r_f[/itex],

[itex]r(3) = \frac{1}{2}(1)3^2+0+0=4.5[/itex] so if I work backward this time d/t=v = 4.5/3= 1.5 m/s

But my velocity is 3m/s, not 1.5m/s

So my conclusion is, Distance/Time = Velocity will only hold true if there is 0 acceleration. Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2015 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Or if v is average velocity.

Edit: which is what you get from integrating.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  4. Jun 17, 2015 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Nope. This is wrong. This is only true if v is a constant. Since your acceleration is not zero, v is NOT a constant, so this is incorrect.

Think about it, If you have a constant v, you use this equation. You have a non-constant v, you ALSO used this equation. Something's got to give because it can't both be correct.

Zz.

5. Jun 17, 2015 #4
    Hi ZapperZ,

Thank you for responding.

May I ask, which part is wrong exactly? I am betting that just the first part is wrong and that the second part (which contradicts the first part) is correct, since my final conclusion is:

I feel that by the end of the work, you are in agreement with my final conclusion. But maybe that you are correcting another point I have missed.

When solving for velocity using each formula, at = v = 3m/s and at + v_0 = 3m/s,

both arrive at the correct answer, but this is only when assuming initial velocity is 0.

But it breaks down when solving for distance, regardless of whether I have initial velocity or initial position.

Is saying "constant velocity" the same thing as saying "0 acceleration."?

6. Jun 17, 2015 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Look at the last line I quoted in your post. The use of d=vt is invalid for varying v.

Zz.

7. Jun 19, 2015 #6
    Thank you. Much appreciated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook