Vt=d doesn't seem to hold true w/ constant acceleration

• Thread starter Ocata
  • Start date
Hello,

Lets say I start off with constant acceleration of 1 m/s^2, and I want to evaluate it at 3 seconds.

a = 1.
a(3) = 1

then, since at=v,

v(t) = at = 1(3) = 3m/s then I can work backward v/t = a = 3/3 = 1

then, since vt = d

d(t) = vt = 3(3) = 9 then I can work backward d/t= v = 9m/3s = 3m/s

This way, the units make sense acceleration is 1 m/s/s

Take 9 meters. Divide it by 3 seconds. Then divide it again by 3 seconds. And voila, you arrive back at 1m/s/s

_______

However, if I integrate acceleration to get the kinematic equations, it all seems to fall apart and I don't know why.

[itex]\int a (dt) = at +v_0 = v_f[/itex] ,

so evaluating time = 3 with acceleration 1m/s^2,

v(3) = 1(3)+0 = 3m/s then I can work backward v/t = a = 3/3 = 1 => all good still

then

[itex]\int v (dt) = \frac{1}{2}at^2 +v_0(t)+r_0= r_f[/itex],

[itex]r(3) = \frac{1}{2}(1)3^2+0+0=4.5[/itex] so if I work backward this time d/t=v = 4.5/3= 1.5 m/s

But my velocity is 3m/s, not 1.5m/s

So my conclusion is, Distance/Time = Velocity will only hold true if there is 0 acceleration. Is this correct?

Answers and Replies

russ_watters
Mentor
Or if v is average velocity.

Edit: which is what you get from integrating.

Last edited:
Likes Ocata
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Hello,

Lets say I start off with constant acceleration of 1 m/s^2, and I want to evaluate it at 3 seconds.

a = 1.
a(3) = 1

then, since at=v,

v(t) = at = 1(3) = 3m/s then I can work backward v/t = a = 3/3 = 1

then, since vt = d
Nope. This is wrong. This is only true if v is a constant. Since your acceleration is not zero, v is NOT a constant, so this is incorrect.

Think about it, If you have a constant v, you use this equation. You have a non-constant v, you ALSO used this equation. Something's got to give because it can't both be correct.

Zz.

Likes Ocata
Hi ZapperZ,

Thank you for responding.

May I ask, which part is wrong exactly? I am betting that just the first part is wrong and that the second part (which contradicts the first part) is correct, since my final conclusion is:

So my conclusion is, Distance/Time = Velocity will only hold true if there is 0 acceleration. Is this correct?
I feel that by the end of the work, you are in agreement with my final conclusion. But maybe that you are correcting another point I have missed.

When solving for velocity using each formula, at = v = 3m/s and at + v_0 = 3m/s,

both arrive at the correct answer, but this is only when assuming initial velocity is 0.

But it breaks down when solving for distance, regardless of whether I have initial velocity or initial position.

Is saying "constant velocity" the same thing as saying "0 acceleration."?

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Hi ZapperZ,

Thank you for responding.

May I ask, which part is wrong exactly? I am betting that just the first part is wrong and that the second part (which contradicts the first part) is correct, since my final conclusion is:
Look at the last line I quoted in your post. The use of d=vt is invalid for varying v.

Zz.

Likes Ocata
Thank you. Much appreciated.