W and Z boson production and decay at e-e+ collider

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of W+/- pairs in an electron/positron collider and the different ways in which this can occur, including through the decay of a Z^0 particle or with the help of a neutrino as a mediator. The participants also mention their research attempts and reference sources on this topic.
malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hi!

I was wondering how W+/- pairs can be created in an electron/positron collider.

Does the e+e- form a [itex] Z^0 [/itex] which decays to [itex] W^- W^+ [/itex] ?

http://www.particle.kth.se/zlab/project/Elep.gif

I have found this picture, but there is no info about the mediating particle (in the small feynman diagram to the right) and I have looked in my two books about particle physics, and on wikipedia. and have not found any information at all

The books I have considered are "particle physics" by Martin & Shaw, and "Particles and nuclei" by Povh et. al.

EDIT: Is it also possible for the [itex] W^- W^+ [/itex] to be created from an intermediate photon?

Thank you for your time and help :-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are the two cases you mention, with an s-channel photon or Z. There's also the case where you have a t-channel neutrino and W's radiating off each vertex.

ah, ok I see. So a neutrino is the "mediator" in the t-channel?

1. What are W and Z bosons?

W and Z bosons are elementary particles that are responsible for the weak nuclear force, one of the four fundamental forces of nature. They are electrically charged particles (W bosons have a charge of +1 or -1, while Z bosons have no charge) and are involved in the decay of heavier particles into lighter ones.

2. How are W and Z bosons produced at e-e+ colliders?

W and Z bosons can be produced at e-e+ colliders through a process called electroweak interaction. This involves colliding high-energy electrons with their antimatter counterparts, positrons, which results in the creation of W and Z bosons.

3. What is the significance of studying W and Z boson production and decay at e-e+ colliders?

Studying W and Z boson production and decay at e-e+ colliders allows us to better understand the properties and behavior of these particles. This information can then be used to test and refine our understanding of the Standard Model of particle physics, which describes the interactions and behaviors of all known particles.

4. Why are e-e+ colliders specifically used for studying W and Z bosons?

E-e+ colliders are specifically used for studying W and Z bosons because they produce collisions at very high energies, which are necessary for the production of these heavy particles. Additionally, e-e+ collisions are "cleaner" than collisions at other types of colliders, meaning that there is less interference from other particles, making it easier to observe and study the W and Z bosons.

5. How do W and Z bosons decay at e-e+ colliders?

W and Z bosons can decay in a variety of ways, depending on their specific properties. For example, W bosons can decay into an electron and a neutrino, while Z bosons can decay into two quarks or two leptons. These decays are observed and studied by detecting the particles that are produced from them in the collider's detectors.