1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

W and Z boson production and decay at e-e+ collider

1. May 3, 2008 #1

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi!

I was wondering how W+/- pairs can be created in an electron/positron collider.

Does the e+e- form a [itex] Z^0 [/itex] which decays to [itex] W^- W^+ [/itex] ?

http://www.particle.kth.se/zlab/project/Elep.gif

I have found this picture, but there is no info about the mediating particle (in the small feynman diagram to the right) and I have looked in my two books about particle physics, and on wikipedia. and have not found any information at all

The books I have considered are "particle physics" by Martin & Shaw, and "Particles and nuclei" by Povh et. al.

EDIT: Is it also possible for the [itex] W^- W^+ [/itex] to be created from an intermediate photon?

Thank you for your time and help :-)

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2008 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

There are the two cases you mention, with an s-channel photon or Z. There's also the case where you have a t-channel neutrino and W's radiating off each vertex.

4. May 3, 2008 #3

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ah, ok I see. So a neutrino is the "mediator" in the t-channel?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?