Wait.... what causes gravity again?

In summary: Gravity affects the distribution of mass. It doesn't cause mass. There's a good analogy with electromagnetism here. Charges and currents cause electric and magnetic fields, and these in turn cause currents and charges to re-arrange. In GR, mass tells spacetime how to curve, and curved spacetime tells mass how to move. A gravitational field will not change the intrinsic mass of a particle.However, if there is a gravitational field present, then the mass of the object will increase.
1832vin
last week, I've just gone through and reviewed myself with general relativity, and am confused, but in a good way; but this time, i had spaces to question it

so... what causes gravity again?
cuz apperently, mass causes gravity, which curves spacetime, but gravity causes mass to exist...? (microscopically); I'm not adequately familiar with quantum, but if you have a plentiful enough explanation, i might learn it in depth; but...
i thought mass is caused by particles (that are able to) interacts with higgs field, and (through some things), it looses energy, and mass is a result of it (actually, i also want to confirm that if you loose energy, idk where did it came from)
but if mass causes gravity, and gravity causes mass, then it's a positive close loop feedback system, where you'd get constantly increasing mass...
@_@"
or am i just totally wrong...

Physics news on Phys.org
Gravity affects the distribution of mass. It doesn't cause mass. There's a good analogy with electromagnetism here. Charges and currents cause electric and magnetic fields, and these in turn cause currents and charges to re-arrange. In GR, mass tells spacetime how to curve, and curved spacetime tells mass how to move. A gravitational field will not change the intrinsic mass of a particle.

Likes Joeal, Entr0py and Chestermiller
As Geofleur says, mass causes spacetime to bend, and this bending tells mass how to move within spacetime. More technically, energy (which includes mass) and stress affect the stress-energy tensor which is where gravity comes from.

Likes Entr0py
Gravity is not really real, it's a phenomenon induced by the curvature of space-time, and mass caused the curvature of space-time. Things accelerates down, but they are not really accelerating, they are simply trying to travel in a "strait line" in space-time. But time at above is faster than at below, you know ...

Xu Shuang said:
Gravity is not really real, it's a phenomenon induced by the curvature of space-time, and mass caused the curvature of space-time. Things accelerates down, but they are not really accelerating, they are simply trying to travel in a "strait line" in space-time. But time at above is faster than at below, you know ...
well, i could have just rephrased it to "what causes curvature of space-time"

Indeed. The OP asked a specific question about how mass and spacetime curvature work. He did not ask a general, "What is gravity" question. I've already had to delete a post for being off topic. Any further replies should address the OP's specific question, not ramble on about how "Gravity isn't really a force" or some other fact about gravity which doesn't help the OP.

earth is a whole system itself .so mass conservation apply always. gravity force can be increase as mass varied. but force's accelerationit always remains constant.
much particle joint makes much force attraction.and mass of Earth is constant.

Geofleur said:
Gravity affects the distribution of mass. It doesn't cause mass. There's a good analogy with electromagnetism here. Charges and currents cause electric and magnetic fields, and these in turn cause currents and charges to re-arrange. In GR, mass tells spacetime how to curve, and curved spacetime tells mass how to move. A gravitational field will not change the intrinsic mass of a particle.
By intrinsic mass, I suppose you mean rest mass right? because if the gravitational field gets something to move, its relativistic mass will increase. Just clarifying because I'm new to relativity.

Yes, I did mean the rest mass.

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which all objects with mass are brought towards each other. It is the force that holds the universe together and is responsible for keeping our feet on the ground.

2. What causes gravity?

Gravity is caused by the curvature of space and time around massive objects. The more massive an object is, the more it curves space and time, and the stronger its gravitational pull.

3. How does gravity work?

Gravity works by the interaction between two masses. The larger the masses, the greater the gravitational force between them. This force is always attractive, meaning objects will always be pulled towards each other.

4. Why do objects fall towards the ground?

Objects fall towards the ground because of the Earth's gravitational pull. The Earth's mass and its curvature of space and time create a gravitational force that pulls objects towards its center.

5. Can we control or manipulate gravity?

As of now, we do not have the technology to control or manipulate gravity. However, scientists are constantly researching and studying ways to harness and manipulate gravity for space travel and other applications.