Wald for Relativity: Prerequisites?

In summary, the conversation discusses the necessity of graduate electrodynamics as a prerequisite for general relativity. It is mentioned that it is not necessary for either general relativity or special relativity and that it may not provide a better understanding of the theory. Wald's presentation of special relativity is recommended, as well as Lee's books on differential geometry. It is also noted that a basic understanding of topology may be useful, but not necessary, for understanding GR.
JVanUW
Next year I was looking to take relativity because it's only taught every 2-3 years, and my
favorite professor is teaching it. Problem is, the prerequisite for the class is graduate electrodynamics. I'm wondering, is grad electrodynamics completely necessary for general relativity? I figure it will be for the special relativity part of the course, but that will be a much smaller portion of the course.

I used purcell for my EM class, which I figure would be better than most books because of its connections to special relativity. I realize the math of GR would be very difficult and I could spend this summer on Lovelocks Differential geometry book.

Any suggestions? Is grad electrodynamics a necessity?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
JVanUW said:
Is grad electrodynamics a necessity?
No it's not. Not for GR, and not for SR. Advanced courses in classical electrodynamics teach you how to solve boundary value problems. They won't make it much clearer to you what the theory actually says, and they don't teach you anything about properties of spacetime.

Wald's presentation of SR is what, one page? I suggest you study SR from another book. I like Schutz's GR book for this. It has one of the best presentations of SR, but I like Wald better for GR, because it's more serious about the math.

I'm not familiar with Lovelock, but I think Lee's books on differential geometry are awesome. The only problem is that you would need both of them. Introduction to smooth manifolds, and Riemannian manifolds: an introduction to curvature. The stuff about connections, parallel transport, covariant derivatives and curvature is in the latter. The basics about manifolds, tensors etc. is in the former.

It's also useful to know a little bit of topology. At least enough to understand what a 2nd countable Hausdorff space is. (Those are the terms that go into Lee's definition of "manifold". Wald actually talks about paracompact Hausdorff spaces instead. To be honest, I still don't know what "paracompact" means :smile:). However, if you're OK with not fully understanding the terms that go into the definition of "manifold", you can skip the topology. This will not make it harder for you to understand GR.

1. What is Wald for Relativity?

Wald for Relativity is a mathematical framework used to study the theory of relativity, which explains the relationships between space, time, and gravity.

2. What are the prerequisites for understanding Wald for Relativity?

A strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in calculus and linear algebra, is necessary for understanding Wald for Relativity. A basic understanding of physics, including concepts such as special relativity and the theory of gravity, is also helpful.

3. Do I need to have prior knowledge of Einstein's theory of relativity to understand Wald for Relativity?

While it is not necessary to have a deep understanding of Einstein's theory of relativity, some familiarity with its basic principles and concepts will help in understanding Wald for Relativity.

4. How can I apply Wald for Relativity in my research?

Wald for Relativity can be applied in various fields of research, including astrophysics, cosmology, and gravitational physics. It is particularly useful for studying the behavior of black holes and other extreme gravitational phenomena.

5. Are there any resources available for learning Wald for Relativity?

Yes, there are several textbooks, online courses, and lecture notes available for learning Wald for Relativity. It is also helpful to consult with a mentor or colleague who has experience with the framework.