Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(wald) method for calculating curvature

1. Nov 21, 2012 #1
    R[itex]_{a}[/itex][itex]_{b}[/itex][itex]_{c}[/itex][itex]^{d}[/itex]ω[itex]_{d}[/itex]=((-2)[itex]\partial[/itex][itex]_{[a}[/itex][itex]\Gamma[/itex][itex]^{d}[/itex][itex]_{b] }[/itex][itex]_{c}[/itex]+2[itex]\Gamma[/itex][itex]^{e}[/itex][itex]_{[a]}[/itex][itex]_{c}[/itex][itex]\Gamma[/itex][itex]^{d}[/itex][itex]_{}[/itex][itex]_{e}[/itex])ω[itex]_{d}[/itex]

good, me question is about of:

1.- as appear the coefficient (-2) und the (2)?

2.- it is assumed that:
    [itex]\partial[/itex][itex]_{[a}[/itex][itex]\Gamma[/itex][itex]^{d}[/itex][itex]_{b]}[/itex][itex]_{c}[/itex]=[itex]\partial[/itex][itex]_{a}[/itex][itex]\Gamma[/itex][itex]^{d}[/itex][itex]_{b}[/itex][itex]_{c}[/itex]+[itex]\partial[/itex][itex]_{b}[/itex][itex]\Gamma[/itex][itex]^{d}[/itex][itex]_{a}[/itex][itex]_{c}[/itex]

also the general form is: (maybe my problem is with the notation)

R[itex]_{a}[/itex][itex]_{b}[/itex][itex]_{c}[/itex][itex]^{d}[/itex]ω[itex]_{d}[/itex]=([itex]\partial[/itex][itex]_{a}[/itex][itex]\Gamma[/itex][itex]^{d}[/itex][itex]_{b}[/itex][itex]_{c}[/itex]-[itex]\partial[/itex][itex]_{b}[/itex][itex]\Gamma[/itex][itex]^{d}[/itex][itex]_{a}[/itex][itex]_{c}[/itex]+[itex]\Gamma[/itex][itex]^{e}[/itex][itex]_{a}[/itex][itex]_{c}[/itex][itex]\Gamma[/itex][itex]^{d}[/itex][itex]_{b}[/itex][itex]_{e}[/itex]-[itex]\Gamma[/itex][itex]^{e}[/itex][itex]_{b}[/itex][itex]_{c}[/itex][itex]\Gamma[/itex][itex]^{d}[/itex][itex]_{a}[/itex][itex]_{e}[/itex])ω[itex]_{d}[/itex]

thank very much!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2012 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Brackets around a pair of indices means antisymmetrize. So

[aΓdb]c = ½(∂aΓdbc - ∂bΓdac)

4. Nov 21, 2012 #3

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Trying to do the latex is giving me fits. But since we have three variables inside the brackets, shouldn't we write

[tex] f([a,d,b],c) = \frac{1}{6} \left[ f(a,d,b,c) + f(d,b,a,c) + f(b,a,d,c) - f(a,b,d,c) - f(b,d,a,c) - f(d,a,b,c) \right] [/tex]

i.e [itex]\frac{1}{n!} [/itex] (even permutations - odd permutations), where n=3?

5. Nov 22, 2012 #4
    pervect, we have two variables inside the brackets, a and b.

ok... but see the curvature tensor:

R[itex]_{a}[/itex][itex]_{[b}[/itex][itex]_{c}[/itex][itex]_{d]}[/itex]=0

it is definition equal of the tensor antisymmetric in the brackets?

(where it origines ∂[aΓdb]c = ½(∂aΓdbc - ∂bΓdac) ? )

thank very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook