Wald's definition of the Cauchy Horizon

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Messages
4,359
Reaction score
669
Hello, Wald defines, on page 203 the future Cauchy Horizon of a set [itex]S\subset M[/itex] as:

[tex]H^+(S)=\overline{D^+(S)}-I^-[D^+(S)][/tex]

Where the overline means the closure of the set. D+ is the future domain of dependence (i.e. all points in the manifold which can be connected to S by a past inextendible causal curve), and I- is the chronological past.

It seems to me that the closure of the set D+ does not include some parts of the set I-(D+) since the second term is the entire chronological past including the chronological past of the points on S.

Is there a mistake in this definition? I would have thought (intuitively) that the future Cauchy Horizon of a set S would simply be the boundary of the Future domain of dependence of S minus S itself. In that case, Wald defined the interior of D+ as:

[tex]int(D^+(S))=I^-[D^+(S)]\cap I^+(S)[/tex]

Perhaps he meant this as the second term? Am I missing something here?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I figured it out...my set theory knowledge was weak apparently haha.