Want to become an electrical engineer but have a few questions about hiring

In summary, the speaker enjoys computer gadgets and is interested in a hardware design job, particularly in companies like Apple or Microsoft. However, they have found it difficult to get hired at these places and are not interested in jobs related to the oil industry. They are seeking advice on other companies to consider in the electronics and software industry.
lsu1993
I enjoy computer gadgets like smart phones, ipods, computers etc. I would like to be part of the team that helps to design these devices, so i guess that would fall under a hardware design job title? also what's a good company to start at after college for this type of thing? i have found out that it is extremely hard to get hired at places like apple, microsoft, etc. all the jobs i have seen have been related to the oil industry which I am not interested in. where should i look?

I appreciate your advice!

Physics news on Phys.org
Where are you in your education / career? It's hard to answer your question without knowing any of your background. Apple and Microsoft would be perfectly good places to start for EE, and plenty of other companies also build or design electronics and software.

Lots of places need electrical engineers. Just look around you; our world is electrical. You need to widen your scope. There's a bunch of manufacturers that do R&D for designing smart phones, music players, chips on motherboards, audio devices, etc.

1. What qualifications are required to become an electrical engineer?

To become an electrical engineer, you typically need a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering or a related field. Some employers may also require a master's degree or relevant work experience.

2. What skills are necessary for a career in electrical engineering?

Some important skills for electrical engineers include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, and proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software. Effective communication and teamwork skills are also important for working in a collaborative engineering environment.

3. What types of industries hire electrical engineers?

Electrical engineers can be employed in a variety of industries, including manufacturing, telecommunications, aerospace, and energy. They may also work in research and development, consulting, or government agencies.

4. How is the job market for electrical engineers?

The job market for electrical engineers is generally positive, with a projected growth rate of 5% from 2019-2029 according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. However, the demand for specific specialties within electrical engineering may vary.

5. What are some potential job roles for an electrical engineer?

Potential job roles for electrical engineers include design engineer, project manager, systems engineer, and research and development engineer. They may also work in fields such as power systems, electronics, or telecommunications.