1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Want to do something meaningful in life

1. Sep 16, 2014 #1

DREAMWALKER

Gold Member

Dark Side:

I am a 28 year old advertising professional. I am extremely upset with the course my profession has taken. I feel unwanted in my office. I hate what I am doing for a living. On the other hand, I am extremely bad with numbers and math in particular.

Bright Side:

I love physics. And philosophy. I'm writing a Sci-fi novel. I want to do something meaningful in life.

Any suggestions, on how to go about starting my course to this beautiful world of Quantum Physics.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2014 #2

Rocket50

Gold Member

Go back to university?

4. Sep 16, 2014 #3

DREAMWALKER

Gold Member

That's rather a scary scenario. I have a wife and my retired parents to take care of. Is there any way I can achieve my goals while on a job(I don't like one bit)?

5. Sep 16, 2014 #4

Rocket50

Gold Member

You might be able to study in a university (or community college) and do a job, but it might be too difficult. Honestly if your objective is to simply learn and enjoy physics, you can do that on your own. However, it seems like you want to learn physics and get a job in it. You probably won't get one without a degree.

6. Sep 16, 2014 #5

DREAMWALKER

Gold Member

Ah..this job bit is a little troubling. As of now, I just want to learn and enjoy it yes. Honestly the amount of math in it is giving me nightmares even if I were to give up everything for it ..

So where do we begin?

7. Sep 16, 2014 #6

Rocket50

Gold Member

OK, learning on your own isn't too difficult if you have enough motivation. What is your current level in mathematics and physics?

8. Sep 16, 2014 #7

DREAMWALKER

Gold Member

Mathematics -Knowledge - 4/10. Interest - 2/10

Physics - Knowledge - 3/10. Interest - 11/10.

9. Sep 16, 2014 #8

Rocket50

Gold Member

:) Math isn't that bad...

What I meant by level is:

math - algebra, calculus etc
    physics - classical mechanics, general physics etc

10. Sep 16, 2014 #9

DREAMWALKER

Gold Member

My bad.

Math- Algebra was my favorite I remember. I loved it. Don't know what's Calculus. May be in India it's called something else.

Physics - General Physics. Don't know what's classical mechanics..

PS: Did someone change my thread name or merged it with someone else's..?

11. Sep 16, 2014 #10

Rocket50

Gold Member

OK, so it looks like you have completed math and physics until about the high school level (although they do cover Calculus in grade 11 and 12 in India). If you need a refresher in mathematics, try "Basic Mathematics" by Serge Lang. Calculus is the next logical step in your math journey. An excellent book to use is Spivak's Calculus.

For physics, you can try a general physics book like Giancoli, Halliday or "University Physics".

Your post hasn't been changed as far as I know.

12. Sep 16, 2014 #11
    You can take online courses offered by
    coursera.org
    edx.org
    udacity.com (try their intro to physics and the college algebra course)

All are free massive open online courses (MOOCs).

13. Sep 16, 2014 #12

DREAMWALKER

Gold Member

Awesome...but can't I start with physics first and pick up maths on the way?

I am currently reading The Age of Spiritual Machines by Ray Kurzweil.
    I think it's is superb!
    Also, Dr Brian Cox's program on BBC was mind blowing. One of the reasons I'm so serious about it..
    And..I had named my thread 'Crossroads' see it now as..something else...

14. Sep 16, 2014 #13

DREAMWALKER

Gold Member

Thank you sabq. I will see it tonight..

15. Sep 16, 2014 #14

Rocket50

Gold Member

For better or worse, after high school level physics, you need a lot of mathematics. For the first year books you need calculus and the list of math keeps on piling up. Don't think of this as discouraging though!

16. Sep 16, 2014 #15

DREAMWALKER

Gold Member

It's a sacrifice I will have to make for the love of physics I guess..

Haha.

17. Sep 16, 2014 #16

Evo

Staff: Mentor

If you are serious, stay away from those books like "The Age of Spiritual Machines" and tv shows and follow the advice you've been given here.

18. Sep 16, 2014 #17

DREAMWALKER

Gold Member

Oh ok. It's an interesting book if you ask me. But yes, I'm serious about my love of physics and that's why I've come here.

How about Biocentrism and The Ascent of Man?

19. Sep 16, 2014 #18

Evo

You can toss biocentrism. Ascent of man is a nice tv series and also book of the tv series by Jacob Bronowski, but you said you are interested in physics.

20. Sep 16, 2014 #19

DREAMWALKER

Gold Member

Physics AND Philosophy. But I love anything that's a mix of both. I like to keep my mind open when it comes to books written by notable names in technology.

21. Sep 16, 2014 #20

Evo

Some notable names aren't worth reading. Also, please be aware that we don't allow discussions of philosophy, just FYI.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook