Want to move on from XP to Linux,

• Thread starter Jameson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linux
In summary, you can unistall Windows XP by following the instructions that are provided on the website. Furthermore, if you format your drive after installing Linux, everything will be wiped.
ok i downloaded the iso and burnt it to cd. Now i can't seem to install it. Whenever i try it asks for an application to open the files ANy thoughts would help.

Computer science news on Phys.org
You don't install linux from within windows. Put the CD in the cdrom then reboot, go into your bios and tell it the boot from the cdrom first, then save the settings, reboot again and then you'll see the linux installer.

Damn, 600MB for ubuntu, my computer has a wimpy hard drive...

Ok i have it up and running. Haven;t encountered any problems yet just trying to get it to interface with my ipod and gmail account

I have Nero 5 and I burn linux disc all the time. It's under "File" and the "Burn Image".
I have 5.5.9.16. OK I see it. Now I need an image file to burn. My DSL is almost T1 if that helps. I don't understand what an image is all about anyway. Why not drag and drop, then burn?

Why even burn the cd if you can do a network install. All you need another computer that is running a DHCP and TFTP server.
Unfortunately I can't speak that language. I do have a network with one machine to be dedicated to Linux. It has an unformatted hard drive.

How does Ubuntu Linux afford to ship out cd's to the masses free of charge?

CharlesP said:
I have 5.5.9.16. OK I see it. Now I need an image file to burn. My DSL is almost T1 if that helps. I don't understand what an image is all about anyway. Why not drag and drop, then burn?

If you drag and drop you're just burning a file to the disc. An image means an exact copy of the disc. When you burn an image it produces the same disc. Otherwise you'd have to drag and drop the thousands of files that make up a linux distrobution. An image file are those large files that end in "iso".

When I start up my computer, I see no such bio option. I actually have no options at all, XP just starts up.

You need to press [DEL] or [F1] when you computer starts up. It really depends on which system you have. What brand/model computer do you have?

It's a Dell. I've pressed delete, F1-F12, tab and just about every other key. Nothing works. Right when I start it up, I see the Dell screen then in about one second the windows loading screen pops up. I've tried rebooting my computer about eight times testing out buttoms. Nothing works.

What model dell?

Okay, I got to the boot menu. I have to hit F12 in like a window of a fraction of second. I have the iso file on a CD and then I went down and selected CD-rom boot. But then it just goes and starts windows like normal.

Did you burn the iso file onto the cd or did you burn the image provided by the iso file onto the cd? Go into windows and make sure you actually have folders and files and not just one .iso file on the cd. Also, If possible remove the hard drive from the boot sequence and have the CDROM occupy all the slots.

Did you burn the iso file onto the cd or did you burn the image provided by the iso file onto the cd?

I burnt the iso, I didn't know images had anything to do with this.

Go into windows and make sure you actually have folders and files and not just one .iso file on the cd.

What other files and folders? I downloaded Ubuntu from one of the links here and it just gave me the iso.

you burn the ISO in Nero, just choose record>burn image

I don't have Nero.

What do you use to burn your CDs?

Sonic Record Now. Something like that, it came with my computer.

Yeah, well go to help in the application and look how to burn an ISO image. It does support burning images.

He already has a cd burning app that can burn images. Why download another program.