Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I install KDE when I'm running Windows XP?

1. Jan 26, 2010 #1
    How do I install KDE when I'm running Windows XP???

I am currently running Windows XP on my pc at home. In uni however, I use KDE. I would like to be able to use the same OS when at home too but still want to be able to use Windows when I want.

Is KDE a separate version of Linux or do I need to install Linux then add KDE as a GUI? I'm a little confused. Also do I need to partition my hard-drive and will this mean uninstalling Windows as I no longer have the disc.

I bought a new external hard-drive especially for this, could I just load Linux/KDE onto that so I boots whenever it is plugged in.

Anyway, as you can see I am in a mix of a muddle over all this. Surely it cant be that difficult. Any help most appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2010 #2
    Re: How do I install KDE when I'm running Windows XP???

KDE is a desktop management system/graphical environment that sits on top of a linux distro. Since you're new to all this, I'd suggest installing kubuntu, which is ubuntu+kde and one of the friendlier linux distros out there.

You don't need to uninstall linux when partitioning a harddrive, just make sure not to overwrite windows. Look at the instructions for creating a dual boot system, or just install kubuntu from windows.

Kind of. what you're looking for then is basically ubuntu on a flashdrive/booting from flash. It's a little bit more complicated to do (or it used to be), but totally possible.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook