Want to study spintronics or Magnetic resonance imaging, but

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
qwertyyuiop
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
... I recently graduated with a BA in physics with less than three months experience in physics research with a not so fantastic GPA. I don't want to go back to school and further my education because I don't want to continue to borrow money for loans to pay for college tuition . What kinds of jobs(science related or not) can I get with a BA in physics where GPA is not very important and neither is extensive job experience. Also, is it possible to apply for any physics research internships or any other science internships where they train you on the job, you are a college graduate , but have little or no training in research?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The fields you mention (spintronics, magnetic reonsance - specifically ferromagnetic resonance -, etc.) are applied regularly in the magnetic information storage industry, so you might try companies that do research in those areas. Hitatchi, Western Digital etc. have hired grad students I went to school with.

However, those people all had PhD's. It doesn't hurt to try, but I wonder about the quality of the job you'll get with a BS and a mediocre/poor GPA. Going back to grad school, on the other hand, would give you a chance to study these subjects you're interested and get good grades. My undergrad grades weren't good either, and I found after I got excellent grades in grad school no one cared.

Goodluck with whichever you choose, and consider updating this thread with the results of your decision.
 
Locrian said:
The fields you mention (spintronics, magnetic reonsance - specifically ferromagnetic resonance -, etc.) are applied regularly in the magnetic information storage industry, so you might try companies that do research in those areas. Hitatchi, Western Digital etc. have hired grad students I went to school with.

However, those people all had PhD's. It doesn't hurt to try, but I wonder about the quality of the job you'll get with a BS and a mediocre/poor GPA. Going back to grad school, on the other hand, would give you a chance to study these subjects you're interested and get good grades. My undergrad grades weren't good either, and I found after I got excellent grades in grad school no one cared.

Goodluck with whichever you choose, and consider updating this thread with the results of your decision.

What schools do you have to go to study spintronics , and magnetic resonance research? Also , what if you decide to work for a while and go to back to school to study spintronics because you wanted to saved up for school? Will the grad committee look at teacher's recommendation, since I had been out of school for a while and would not have had contact with my profs since I had been in the work place for a while.

Currently, what can I do with a BA in physics ? What kind of jobs can I get with a BA in physics?
 
Spintronics and NMR are also my interests. My advice is to apply for graduate program. It will never be late. A BA in physics could do nothing about physics.