Wanted: Instructions for Leybold PGA 100 mass spectrometer

In summary: Glad you got it fixed.In summary, the conversation discusses the need for alignment instructions for a Leybold PGA 100 mass spectrometer. The manual mentions a supplement with instructions, but the user has been unable to locate it through online searches or contacting the manufacturer. Other users suggest looking for similar manuals or reaching out to individuals who may have access to the supplement. Eventually, the user successfully repairs the instrument with the help of a smoke signal and adjusting one of the 14 potentiometers.
Michael Koch
I have a Leybold PGA 100 mass spectrometer, including the instruction manual. The instrument is paired with a gauge head. If either the instrument or the gauge head is exchanged, then an alignment is required. It's mentioned in the instruction manual there exists a supplement, which contains the alignment instructions. Does anybody have these alignment instructions? I'm ready to pay for a photocopy.
Thanks,
Michael

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why would you have to pay? Is it not available online? How about from the company?

I wouldn't ask here if I hadn't already tried Google and the manufacturer. It's an old instrument and out of service for many years.

Can you post a copy of the cover page of the manual you have, and also a shot of where is mentions the alignment supplement? That might help us to try to look for it. Also paging @dlgoff @davenn @jim hardy

Here is the cover page of the manual and the second page, where the required supplement is mentioned.
leybold_1.jpg
leybold_2.jpg

Attachments

• leybold_1.jpg
    leybold_1.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 508
  • leybold_2.jpg
    leybold_2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 509
  • leybold_1.jpg
    leybold_1.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 470
  • leybold_2.jpg
    leybold_2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 529
Likes davenn and berkeman
Michael Koch said:
I wouldn't ask here if I hadn't already tried Google and the manufacturer.

no probs, :smile: @berkeman had to ask the obvious, as a VERY high percentage of people ask here without ever doing any searches on even the most basic things

Michael Koch said:
Here is the cover page of the manual and the second page, where the required supplement is mentioned.

Thanks for that ...
I searched through a few old manual repositories that I am familiar with and didn't have any luck either
even searched youtube :rolleyes:

the only way you may get info is from some one who has one of these units

best of luck

Dave

Likes berkeman and Michael Koch
Unfortunately these manuals aren't close enough. The leak detectors have a mass separator with a magnetic field, and they are tuned only for helium with mass 4. However the PGA 100 has a quadrupole separator and is tunable from mass 1 to 99. I have two PGA 100 instruments and one of them is defect. The measuring head was paired with the instrument that is now dead. When I use the working instrument with this head, then the mass spectrum is off by about one. The Argon peak is shown at 41, instead of 40 where it should be. The HF module has 14 potentiometers for adjustment. That's why I really need the instruction supplement. If there were only 2 or 3 potentiometer, I would simply try them out.
Michael

Likes jim hardy
Michael Koch said:
The HF module has 14 potentiometers for adjustment.
Ouch! About 50 yrs ago I tuned a large Helium Leak Detector, which is rather simple... it took only a couple hours! You have a head start on yours, it's "only off by a little bit." :wink:

Try a search for Leybold PGA 100 using duckduckgo.com. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=leybold+pga+100
Of course the first hit is this thread! But if you read the results you will find an outfit in Germany that does servicing and further down the list there are several papers that mention they used that model in their research. As @davenn suggested above, hopefully you can find someone that is willing to send you a copy of the needed manual.

Good Luck! And keep us posted.
Tom

I did already contact the servicing company in Germany last week, but got no reply so far. May be they don't want to share the manual.

Good news. The repair was successful. The defect component revealed itself by a smoke signal.
Michael

IMG_9809.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9809.jpg
    IMG_9809.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 457
  • IMG_9809.jpg
    IMG_9809.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 433
Likes berkeman and davenn
I also figured out which of the 14 potentiometers must be adjusted for shifting the mass result. Now my two mass spectrometers are both working fine and have the peaks exactly where they should be.
Michael

Likes berkeman, dlgoff and jim hardy
Nothing like the sweet taste of success Congratulations! This is how we learn. Look how much more you know about your machine now.

Likes dlgoff and Michael Koch
Gotta love that smoke. :thumbup:

Likes jim hardy and Michael Koch
That's the 'good' thing about Tantalum capacitors, their failure is spectacular! (assuming a hefty enough power supply.)

Congratulations!

Likes Michael Koch and dlgoff

1. What is a Leybold PGA 100 mass spectrometer?

A Leybold PGA 100 mass spectrometer is a scientific instrument used to measure the mass and abundance of different molecules and atoms in a sample. It works by ionizing the sample, separating the ions based on their mass-to-charge ratio, and detecting them with a mass analyzer.

2. How do I operate a Leybold PGA 100 mass spectrometer?

To operate a Leybold PGA 100 mass spectrometer, you will need to follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer. Typically, you will need to set up the instrument, load the sample, set the operating parameters, and start the analysis. It is important to follow the instructions carefully to ensure accurate results.

3. What types of samples can be analyzed with a Leybold PGA 100 mass spectrometer?

A Leybold PGA 100 mass spectrometer can analyze a wide range of samples, including gases, liquids, and solids. It is commonly used in environmental analysis, pharmaceutical research, and material science, among other fields.

4. How accurate are the results from a Leybold PGA 100 mass spectrometer?

The accuracy of the results from a Leybold PGA 100 mass spectrometer depends on various factors, such as the quality of the sample, the calibration of the instrument, and the skill of the operator. However, this instrument is known for its high sensitivity and precision, making it a reliable tool for scientific analysis.

5. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when using a Leybold PGA 100 mass spectrometer?

Yes, there are some safety precautions that should be followed when using a Leybold PGA 100 mass spectrometer. These include wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, following proper handling procedures for hazardous samples, and ensuring the instrument is properly maintained and calibrated. It is important to read and understand the safety instructions provided by the manufacturer before operating the instrument.