1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wanting to become a High School Math teacher [Advice needed]

1. Apr 18, 2013 #1
    Hello,

I graduated from University in 2009 with a business degree but have decided that wasnt for me. I want to be a teacher and secondary math seems like the best path to take [higher demand & tutoring opportunities]

While I never was a genius in school, I did alright (mostly B's with a few A's & C's here and there) with never really trying, caring, or studying.

I understand this will not be easy and will take ALOT of studying and work, but I am confident in my abilities and when I put my mind to doing something I do it.

With that said, I gonna be starting from the ground up and going back over EVERYTHING. I am looking for 2 books on each subject. 1st book that covers all the basics and explains things easily and clear (Practical Algebra?). Then a 2nd book that goes into a lot more depth. Which books would you recommend?

Any other advice will be much appreciated as well.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Books - you should obtain copies of the secondary curriculae for the areas of interest.

Other advice:
    Go to college and obtain a secondary teaching qualification.
    The jurisdiction in which you want to do this is very important - different countries etc have different expectations and rules. Without this, specific advise will be questionable at best.

4. Apr 18, 2013 #3
    I am doing an online Alternative Certification Program through the University of West Florida. I finish it this summer and then plan to start studying for 8 months until I take the state of Florida's teaching licensing exams in December / January.

However, I will not be teaching in the US. Will most likely be teaching at an IB school abroad.

5. Apr 18, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Does the online certification course include practical teaching sections - this is where you spend some months supervised teaching an actual class? Few schools will hire you without documented and reviewed teaching experience.

By "IB schools", you mean International Baccalaureate schools right?
    These schools offer an international standard program within their country's own education program.
    You must still be qualified to teach in that country. eg. to teach in a secondary school in New Zealand you must hold a NZ Diploma in Teaching with your existing degree - minimum. Last I looked, US teacher certifications were not usually accepted. Minimum requirements will differ by jurisdiction.

6. Apr 18, 2013 #5
    The program has a placement and field part of it where I must do interviews, observations, subbing, and student teaching. Its not nearly as much as one for a conventional degree though.

When I talk about teaching abroad and IB, I am talking about private schools in areas like the Middle East, Asia, and Latin America. You only need to hold a certification / license from your home country.

7. Apr 18, 2013 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well fair enough... you have decided on a specific career plan.

There's a whole forum covering text books on any subject covered here, however, for secondary level, there is gratis information online.

For a primer, I had the best mileage out of student exam reviews and primers for the country I'm going to.
    Let exams be your guide.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook