Wanting to become a High School Math teacher [Advice needed]

In summary, the individual graduated from university with a business degree, but is now interested in becoming a teacher. They are going to be starting from the ground up and studying for the teaching licensing exams. They recommend obtaining copies of the secondary curriculae for the areas of interest. Additionally, the individual recommends obtaining exams as a guide to deciding if teaching is the right career for them.
MelvinDL86
Hello,

I graduated from University in 2009 with a business degree but have decided that wasnt for me. I want to be a teacher and secondary math seems like the best path to take [higher demand & tutoring opportunities]

While I never was a genius in school, I did alright (mostly B's with a few A's & C's here and there) with never really trying, caring, or studying.

I understand this will not be easy and will take ALOT of studying and work, but I am confident in my abilities and when I put my mind to doing something I do it.

With that said, I going to be starting from the ground up and going back over EVERYTHING. I am looking for 2 books on each subject. 1st book that covers all the basics and explains things easily and clear (Practical Algebra?). Then a 2nd book that goes into a lot more depth. Which books would you recommend?

Any other advice will be much appreciated as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
Books - you should obtain copies of the secondary curriculae for the areas of interest.

Other advice:
Go to college and obtain a secondary teaching qualification.
The jurisdiction in which you want to do this is very important - different countries etc have different expectations and rules. Without this, specific advise will be questionable at best.

Simon Bridge said:
Books - you should obtain copies of the secondary curriculae for the areas of interest.

Other advice:
Go to college and obtain a secondary teaching qualification.
The jurisdiction in which you want to do this is very important - different countries etc have different expectations and rules. Without this, specific advise will be questionable at best.

I am doing an online Alternative Certification Program through the University of West Florida. I finish it this summer and then plan to start studying for 8 months until I take the state of Florida's teaching licensing exams in December / January.

However, I will not be teaching in the US. Will most likely be teaching at an IB school abroad.

Does the online certification course include practical teaching sections - this is where you spend some months supervised teaching an actual class? Few schools will hire you without documented and reviewed teaching experience.

By "IB schools", you mean http://www.ibo.org/school/ schools right?
These schools offer an international standard program within their country's own education program.
You must still be qualified to teach in that country. eg. to teach in a secondary school in New Zealand you must hold a NZ Diploma in Teaching with your existing degree - minimum. Last I looked, US teacher certifications were not usually accepted. Minimum requirements will differ by jurisdiction.

The program has a placement and field part of it where I must do interviews, observations, subbing, and student teaching. Its not nearly as much as one for a conventional degree though.

When I talk about teaching abroad and IB, I am talking about private schools in areas like the Middle East, Asia, and Latin America. You only need to hold a certification / license from your home country.

Well fair enough... you have decided on a specific career plan.

There's a whole forum covering textbooks on any subject covered here, however, for secondary level, there is gratis information online.

For a primer, I had the best mileage out of student exam reviews and primers for the country I'm going to.
Let exams be your guide.

What qualifications do I need to become a high school math teacher?

In order to become a high school math teacher, you will need to have a bachelor's degree in mathematics or a related field, as well as a teaching certification. Some states may also require you to have a master's degree in education.

What skills are important for a high school math teacher?

Aside from a strong understanding of math concepts, important skills for a high school math teacher include communication, organization, patience, and the ability to adapt teaching methods to meet the needs of diverse learners.

How can I gain experience as a high school math teacher?

One way to gain experience as a high school math teacher is to complete a student teaching or internship program while in college. You can also volunteer or work as a tutor in a high school math classroom, or participate in teaching workshops and conferences.

What challenges do high school math teachers face?

High school math teachers may face challenges such as managing large class sizes, addressing varying levels of student understanding, and finding ways to engage students who are not interested in math. They may also have to navigate complex curriculums and standardized testing requirements.

What advice do you have for someone considering becoming a high school math teacher?

My advice would be to gain experience working with high school students, whether through tutoring, volunteering, or observing in a classroom. Additionally, be prepared to adapt your teaching methods to reach all students, and stay current on educational trends and technologies. Finally, remember that teaching is a rewarding but demanding profession, and be sure to prioritize self-care to avoid burnout.