Was Hawaii Under Tsunami Warning During Tonga-Fiji Earthquake?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Earthquake
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
Messages
22,714
Reaction score
7,805
Tonga - Fiji Region - http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/tonga_earthquake

Tsuanmi Alert.

http://www.everything-science.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,82/topic,5244.msg59601#msg59601
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Yeah, I heard about this. I also heard there was no tsunami.
 
There was a tsunami concern because initial estimates indicated a shallow quake, but it was actually deeper, so by the time the energy got to the sea floor, the vertical displacements were not too severe.
 
Just today somebody was telling me that their sister called them, and said they were under a tsunami warning in Hawaii at the time of the earthquake. Oahu I think.