Was the initial condition extremely cold?

In summary, if all matter was at maximum density, the temperature would have been extremely cold. However, compression generally heats a substance up, and if you wait a long time, the temperature will equalize with the surrounding environment.
Atlas3
Gold Member
If all matter was at maximum density, would not the temperature have been extremely cold of the sum of all matter? temperature affects density I think.

Space news on Phys.org
Ignoring the problem with there being a maximum density, no, not necessarily. Compression generally heats a substance up for starters. But if you compress something and then wait a long time, it will equalize with the surrounding environment, taking on whatever temperature the environment has. This might be very cold, but it could also be very hot.

Atlas3 said:
temperature affects density I think.

If the only thing you change is the temperature of something, then yes, density is affected. But I can compress something while I heat it up, or I could cool down a gas while expanding the volume it is contained in (and thus decreasing its density).

Atlas3 said:
If all matter was at maximum density

What matter? At what time?

If you are talking about conditions at the Big Bang, the matter was at very high density, but not "maximum" (as @Drakkith points out, there is no such thing), and it was extremely hot, not extremely cold.

Atlas3 said:
temperature affects density I think.

You should not expect your intuition about ordinary matter here on Earth, where yes, cooling something down tends to make it denser (other things being equal), to apply to very different conditions like the early universe.

@Drakkith @PeterDonis I cannot form a complete paragraph as I have impairments that effect my skills.
What matter? All of it. Dark if it is. I supposed this because if there were an event, what is in our universe has spawned from a consolidated mass. That is just what made sense to me. Then it occurs to me @Drakkith that from what you supposed of compression and heating has an opposite circumstance of cooling and condensing. I like discussion and not arguments so I appreciate your replies. Thanks

Atlas3 said:
What matter? All of it.

Ok, then it looks like you are talking about the early universe, so the first part of my post #3 applies.

I'm not even sure that 'temperature' has any meaning as a measure of condition in quark-gluon soup

Likes DaveC426913
rootone said:
I'm not even sure that 'temperature' has any meaning as a measure of condition in quark-gluon soup
I think there is consensus that the "quark-gluon soup" exists at extremely high temperature whereby the analogy of the temperature of a gas due to the kinetic energy of the masses of atoms/molecules doesn't seem applicable.

timmdeeg said:
I think there is consensus that the "quark-gluon soup" exists at extremely high temperature

This is correct.

timmdeeg said:
whereby the analogy of the temperature of a gas due to the kinetic energy of the masses of atoms/molecules doesn't seem applicable.

But I'm not sure where you're getting this from; do you have a reference?

PeterDonis said:
But I'm not sure where you're getting this from; do you have a reference?
No, I haven't. Regarding kinetic energy I was reasoning in terms of the rest masses of the constituents of a proton. Their contribution to the mass of the proton is tiny. But as I realize now, I can't compare confined quarks with those existing in the Quark soup and hence are not confined.
Could you kindly elaborate a little on the kinetic energy of Quarks in both cases?

Last edited:
timmdeeg said:
I can't compare confined quarks with those existing in the Quark soup and hence are not confined.

That's correct. Quarks inside a nucleon are in a different state from quarks in a quark-gluon plasma.

timmdeeg said:
Could you kindly elaborate a little on the kinetic energy of Quarks in both cases?

We don't measure the kinetic energy of quarks directly in either case. But for a quark-gluon plasma, we can make assumptions about the distribution of kinetic energies of the quarks that are similar to what we do for ordinary gases, so we have a statistical model that is similar to the models we use in the kinetic theory of gases.

For quarks inside a nucleon, this sort of model doesn't work. In fact, there isn't a single generally accepted model of a nucleon. So I don't think we have a clear answer about the kinetic energy of quarks inside a nucleon. (For one thing, quarks inside a nucleon are probably not in an eigenstate of the kinetic energy operator, so they don't have a well-defined kinetic energy anyway.)

Likes timmdeeg
Thanks a lot!

1. What is considered an "extremely cold" initial condition?

An extremely cold initial condition can vary depending on the context. In general, it refers to an initial state that is significantly colder than the average or expected temperature.

2. Why is the initial condition's temperature important in scientific experiments?

The initial condition's temperature plays a crucial role in determining the outcome of an experiment. It can affect the rate of chemical reactions, physical processes, and the behavior of materials. Therefore, understanding and controlling the initial temperature is essential for obtaining accurate and reproducible results.

3. How is the initial condition's temperature measured?

The initial condition's temperature can be measured using various instruments such as thermometers, pyrometers, or thermal imaging cameras. The method of measurement depends on the type of substance and the desired accuracy.

4. Can extremely cold initial conditions exist in nature?

Yes, extremely cold initial conditions can exist in nature. For example, the initial state of the universe after the Big Bang is estimated to have been extremely cold, near absolute zero. Cold temperatures can also be found in extreme environments such as the polar regions or deep space.

5. How do scientists create extremely cold initial conditions in controlled experiments?

Scientists can create extremely cold initial conditions in controlled experiments by using specialized equipment such as cryogenic chambers or by manipulating the environment, such as using liquid nitrogen or dry ice. These methods allow for precise control and maintenance of extremely cold temperatures for scientific research.