1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Washing Machine Hazard Rate Problem

1. Mar 6, 2008 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The number of years that a washing machine functions is a random variable whose hazard rate function, h(t), is given by

- 0.2 if 0 < t < 2
    - 0.2 + 0.3(t - 2) if 2 <= t <= 5
    - 1.1 if t > 5

If the washing machine is still working six years after being purchased, what is the conditional probability that it will fail within the succeeding two years?

The attempt at a solution
    My interpretation of h(t) is that it is the probability that the washing machine will fail given that it has worked for t years.

The answer to the problem, I reckon, is the sum of h(6 + t) as t varies from 0 to 2. Since 6 + t > 5, then h(6 + t) = 1.1 by the def. of h. Integrating, I get 2.2. This must be wrong since probabilities are <= 1. Where did I go wrong?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2008 #2
    The solution in the book states that the answer is P{X < 8|X > 6}. What is X here? I guess it represents the number of years the washing machine has survived. This makes sense.

Why didn't my original idea work? It seems perfectly legit. to me.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?