Water distrubution system design

In summary, the conversation is about designing a water distribution system with a horizontal pipe and 6 vertical outlets. The speaker knows the total flow rate required and that the flow out of each pipe must be equal. They are unsure how to determine the diameters of the pipes, but suggest using the continuity equation to relate the velocity in the horizontal pipe to the velocity in the outlets. However, the other person suggests using valves on each pipe instead of trying to get exactly the same flow through each pipe. They also suggest providing more information about the purpose of the system for better advice.
qaliq
I am trying to design a water distribution system which basically consists of a horizontal pipe (dia 300mm) with 6 vertical outlets. I know the total flow rate required and that the flow out of each pipe must be equal. how do i determine the diameters of the pipes? I know that I can use continuity (Q=uA) but I'm not sure how to relate the velocity in the horizontal pipe just before the outlet with the velocity of the water in the actual outlet.

Hope that all makes sense! Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
qaliq said:
how do i determine the diameters of the pipes?

In relation to what?

qaliq said:
I know that I can use continuity (Q=uA) but I'm not sure how to relate the velocity in the horizontal pipe just before the outlet with the velocity of the water in the actual outlet.

If you use the continuity equation you have,

Q = v1*A1 and Q = v2*A2 which gives,

v1*A1/A2 = v2

So the velocity using continuity is related by the ratio of pipe diameters.

Hi qaliq,
I am trying to design a water distribution system which basically consists of a horizontal pipe (dia 300mm) with 6 vertical outlets. I know the total flow rate required and that the flow out of each pipe must be equal.
If you're really trying to get exactly the same flow out of each pipe, and assuming the pipes are different lengths and potentially different elevations, then trying to size just a pipe to give you exactly the same flow (or even very close) will be difficult if not impossible to get right. You can get to maybe within plus or minus 10 or 20% at best.

I'd suggest simply putting a valve on the end of each pipe, and designing the system such that the dP through the pipe is relatively small compared to the dP through the valve. This way, you can adjust the valve without significantly altering the other 5 lines to get the exact flow you want from each pipe.

You might want to offer a bit more detail about what you're attempting to accomplish. It's harder to give advice when you don't understand the intent.

1. What factors are considered when designing a water distribution system?

The design of a water distribution system takes into account a variety of factors, including population size and growth, topography and land use, water source and quality, and regulatory requirements. Other factors such as climate, infrastructure, and budget may also play a role in the design process.

2. How is the size of water pipes determined in a distribution system?

The size of water pipes in a distribution system is determined based on the expected demand for water, as well as the pressure needed to deliver that water. Factors such as pipe material, flow rate, and friction loss are also considered when determining pipe size.

3. What is the purpose of a water storage tank in a distribution system?

A water storage tank serves several purposes in a distribution system. It helps to maintain a consistent water pressure, especially during periods of high demand. It also serves as a backup source of water in case of emergencies or disruptions in the water supply.

4. How is water quality maintained in a distribution system?

Water quality is maintained in a distribution system through a combination of treatment processes and regular monitoring. Chlorine is often added to the water to disinfect it and prevent the growth of harmful bacteria. The distribution system is also regularly flushed to remove any buildup or sediment.

5. What are the main challenges in designing a water distribution system?

Some of the main challenges in designing a water distribution system include balancing the competing needs of different stakeholders, such as residents, businesses, and government agencies. Other challenges may include limited funding, aging infrastructure, and the impact of climate change on water availability and quality.