Water, Ice, Steam Mixture - Final Temperature

Hi i am a brand new member to this forum i am studying to be a power engineer and thermodynamics is one of the courses I need to succeed. If i could get help with this problem it would be much appreciated.

Homework Statement

A perfectly insulated box contains 3.50kg of dry saturated steam at 100C, 2kg of ice at 0C and 50kg of water at 20C. Assuming that all of the steam condenses and that all of the ice melts, calculate the equilibrium temperature by the closed system.

Homework Equations

Q=MCdelta T

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive tried this several times and i got close to the answer but i must be missing something.

Steam ---> Water
3.5kg(2257kj/kg) = 7899.5
Ice ----> Water
2kg(335kj/kg) = 670

IM just gonna stop there cause im not sure if im on the right track.
0=mcdelta t + mc delta t + mc delta t

Thanks for the help in advance

Answers and Replies

PeterO
Homework Helper
Hi i am a brand new member to this forum i am studying to be a power engineer and thermodynamics is one of the courses I need to succeed. If i could get help with this problem it would be much appreciated.

Homework Statement

A perfectly insulated box contains 3.50kg of dry saturated steam at 100C, 2kg of ice at 0C and 50kg of water at 20C. Assuming that all of the steam condenses and that all of the ice melts, calculate the equilibrium temperature by the closed system.

Homework Equations

Q=MCdelta T

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive tried this several times and i got close to the answer but i must be missing something.

Steam ---> Water
3.5kg(2257kj/kg) = 7899.5
Ice ----> Water
2kg(335kj/kg) = 670

IM just gonna stop there cause im not sure if im on the right track.
0=mcdelta t + mc delta t + mc delta t

Thanks for the help in advance
That is a good start, except for ignoring the kilo in latent heat 335kJ/kg that is [same for steam].