Water, Ice, Steam Mixture - Final Temperature

In summary, a new member to a forum studying to be a power engineer and needing help with a thermodynamics problem involving a perfectly insulated box containing 3.50kg of dry saturated steam at 100C, 2kg of ice at 0C, and 50kg of water at 20C. The goal is to calculate the equilibrium temperature by the closed system, assuming all steam condenses and all ice melts. The equations used are Q=MCdelta T and 0=mcdelta t + mc delta t + mc delta t.
mrjester1989
Hi i am a brand new member to this forum i am studying to be a power engineer and thermodynamics is one of the courses I need to succeed. If i could get help with this problem it would be much appreciated.

Homework Statement

A perfectly insulated box contains 3.50kg of dry saturated steam at 100C, 2kg of ice at 0C and 50kg of water at 20C. Assuming that all of the steam condenses and that all of the ice melts, calculate the equilibrium temperature by the closed system.

Homework Equations

Q=MCdelta T

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive tried this several times and i got close to the answer but i must be missing something.

Steam ---> Water
3.5kg(2257kj/kg) = 7899.5
Ice ----> Water
2kg(335kj/kg) = 670

IM just going to stop there cause I am not sure if I am on the right track.
0=mcdelta t + mc delta t + mc delta t

Thanks for the help in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
mrjester1989 said:
Hi i am a brand new member to this forum i am studying to be a power engineer and thermodynamics is one of the courses I need to succeed. If i could get help with this problem it would be much appreciated.

Homework Statement

A perfectly insulated box contains 3.50kg of dry saturated steam at 100C, 2kg of ice at 0C and 50kg of water at 20C. Assuming that all of the steam condenses and that all of the ice melts, calculate the equilibrium temperature by the closed system.

Homework Equations

Q=MCdelta T

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive tried this several times and i got close to the answer but i must be missing something.

Steam ---> Water
3.5kg(2257kj/kg) = 7899.5
Ice ----> Water
2kg(335kj/kg) = 670

IM just going to stop there cause I am not sure if I am on the right track.
0=mcdelta t + mc delta t + mc delta t

Thanks for the help in advance

That is a good start, except for ignoring the kilo in latent heat 335kJ/kg that is [same for steam].

1. What is the final temperature of a water, ice, and steam mixture?

The final temperature of a water, ice, and steam mixture depends on the proportions of each component and the initial temperatures of the water and steam. It can range from 0°C to 100°C, with the majority of mixtures averaging around 50-60°C.

2. Can the final temperature of a water, ice, and steam mixture be below 0°C?

Yes, the final temperature of a water, ice, and steam mixture can be below 0°C if there is a higher proportion of ice in the mixture. This can occur if the initial temperature of the water is below 0°C.

3. Why does a water, ice, and steam mixture reach a final temperature?

A water, ice, and steam mixture reaches a final temperature due to the process of thermal equilibrium. This means that when two substances with different temperatures are brought into contact, heat will transfer from the warmer substance to the cooler substance until they reach the same temperature.

4. How does the amount of steam in a mixture affect the final temperature?

The amount of steam in a mixture can greatly affect the final temperature. If there is a higher proportion of steam, it will have a larger impact on the final temperature as it has a higher temperature compared to water and ice. This can result in a higher final temperature.

5. Can a water, ice, and steam mixture reach a final temperature above 100°C?

In most cases, a water, ice, and steam mixture will not reach a final temperature above 100°C. This is because water boils at 100°C and any steam in the mixture will be at this temperature. However, in certain conditions such as high pressure, the final temperature may exceed 100°C.