Water inlet valve diaphragm operation

In summary, the conversation discussed the investigation of a malfunctioning solenoid water inlet valve. It was discovered that 4 out of 6 bleed holes were blocked with debris, leading to cyclic surging of water flow instead of proper closing when de-energized. The cause of the malfunction was determined to be the blocked holes. The speaker requested a section drawing or a link to the valve type for further understanding.
MetalRocks
I am investigating the cause for malfunction of a solenoid water inlet valve (when de-energized, the valve fails to close and instead exhibits cyclic surging of water flow). 4 of the 6 bleed holes are blocked with debris, and I have concluded that this is what caused the valve to malfunction However, I need to describe what exactly happens within the valve & diaphragm when bleed holes are blocked.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Please provide a section drawing or a link to the valve type you are using.

solenoid valve diaphragm

I don't have a section diagram for this particular valve but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solenoid_valve has a pretty good general one. I attached 3 photos of the valve & diaphragm with the blocked holes indicated.

Attachments

• valve.jpg
    valve.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 457
  • diaphragm.jpg
    diaphragm.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 459
  • blocked holes.jpg
    blocked holes.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 495

1. How does a water inlet valve diaphragm work?

The water inlet valve diaphragm is a crucial component of a water inlet valve. It is a flexible rubber or plastic membrane that controls the flow of water into the appliance. When the appliance is turned on, the diaphragm opens up to allow water into the appliance. When the appliance is turned off, the diaphragm closes to stop the flow of water.

2. What is the purpose of a water inlet valve diaphragm?

The main purpose of a water inlet valve diaphragm is to control the flow of water into the appliance. It helps to regulate the amount of water entering the appliance, preventing overfilling or underfilling. It also ensures that water flows in the correct direction and at the right pressure to properly operate the appliance.

3. What are the signs of a malfunctioning water inlet valve diaphragm?

If the water inlet valve diaphragm is not functioning properly, you may notice issues with water flow in your appliance. This can include low water pressure, slow filling, or water not filling at all. You may also hear strange noises coming from the appliance, indicating a problem with the diaphragm.

4. How can I test the water inlet valve diaphragm?

To test the water inlet valve diaphragm, you will need to use a multimeter. First, disconnect the appliance from the power source. Then, locate the diaphragm and remove it from the valve. Set your multimeter to the ohms setting and place the probes on the two terminals of the diaphragm. If the reading is within the manufacturer's recommended range, the diaphragm is functioning properly.

5. Can a water inlet valve diaphragm be replaced?

Yes, a water inlet valve diaphragm can be replaced. If you notice any signs of malfunction or failure, it is important to replace the diaphragm as soon as possible to avoid further damage to your appliance. You can purchase a replacement diaphragm from a hardware store or contact a professional for assistance with installation.