Water resistance in a flashlight

In summary, the conversation discussed creating a multi-functional flashlight/laser pointer that is resistant to rain and can attach to the user's arm. Possible solutions included using a gasket around removable covers and using a conformal coating spray to seal against water and dust. The idea of putting the device in a plastic bag for added protection was also mentioned.
Stephenk53
I recently made a flashlight/ laser pointer that can charge my phone, and I was wondering as to how I could make it resistant to the rain while allowing the top to be removable to switch out the batteries and make repairs. I also plan on making it attach to my arm like a gauntlet. So how could I water proof it and what are some things I could add to it? I plan on making it have as many functions as I can add. Here is a photo, it's still a work in progress
20180408_084437.jpg

Attachments

• 20180408_084437.jpg
    20180408_084437.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 357
Engineering news on Phys.org
You'll need a gasket around any removable cover. You might need to seal any metal to metal joints so they don't leak.

Not really a primary sealant. However you can get aerosol cans of conformal coating. Make all of your connections and than liberally spray from multiple angles to seal against any water or dust that gets past your exterior seals.

Put it in a plastic bag.

Likes Ketch22

What is water resistance in a flashlight?

Water resistance in a flashlight refers to the ability of the flashlight to withstand exposure to water without being damaged. This is an important feature for flashlights that may be used in outdoor or wet environments.

What is the difference between water resistant and waterproof?

The terms water resistant and waterproof are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings. Water resistant means that the flashlight can withstand some exposure to water, but it may still be damaged if submerged for a long period of time. Waterproof means that the flashlight can be fully submerged in water without being damaged.

How is the level of water resistance measured in flashlights?

The level of water resistance in flashlights is typically measured using the Ingress Protection (IP) rating system. The first number in the rating indicates the level of protection against solid objects, while the second number indicates the level of protection against water. The higher the number, the more resistant the flashlight is to water.

What materials are used to make a flashlight water resistant?

Many flashlights that are designed to be water resistant are made with materials such as rubber or silicone seals, O-rings, and waterproof coatings. These materials help to create a barrier that prevents water from entering the internal components of the flashlight.

Can a water-resistant flashlight be used for scuba diving?

No, a water-resistant flashlight is not suitable for scuba diving. Scuba diving requires a waterproof flashlight that can withstand higher water pressure and deeper depths. It is important to check the IP rating of a flashlight before using it for activities such as scuba diving to ensure it is suitable for that purpose.