1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave equation with inhomogeneous boundary conditions

1. Mar 27, 2009 #1
    I'm reposting this because there was a problem with the title/LaTeX last time.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solve the wave equation (1) on the region 0<x<2 subject to the boundary conditions (2) and the initial condition (3) by separation of variables.

2. Relevant equations

(1) [itex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t^2}=c^2\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}[/itex]

(2) [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}(0,t)=1[/itex] ; [itex]\frac{\partial u }{\partial x}(2,t)=1[/itex]

(3) [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}(x,0)=0[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I've defined [itex]\theta(x,t)=u(x,t)-u_{st}(x) = u(x,t)-x-h(t)[/itex] where u_st is the steady state solution (4). I've used this to create a new PDE with homogeneous boundary conditions.

The PDE is:

[itex]\frac{\partial^2 \theta}{\partial t^2} + h''(t)=c^2 \frac{\partial^2 \theta}{\partial x^2}[/itex].

By subbing in [itex]\theta=f(t)g(x)[/itex] I get:

[itex]f''(t)g(x)+h''(t)=c^2 f(t) g''(x)[/itex]

I'm not sure how to transform this into two ODEs. Can someone help?

(4): The solution to [itex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2} = 0[/itex] subject to (2).

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2009 #2
    I think you just need to introduce new function v: u(x,t) = v(x,t) + x. The equation for v(x,t) will be the same but boundary conditions will become homogeneous =) and btw, you are missing one more initial condition like u(x,t=0) = ...

4. Apr 23, 2009 #3
    Im also stuck on this one, for me its the initial conditions and boundary conditions being partial derivitives that throws me.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  5. Apr 25, 2009 #4
    The eqn. given for boundary conditions is a partial derivitive so do i intergrate it to find u(x,t)
    in which case is it that; u(o,t) = x and u(2,t) = x. so that.
    u(x,t) = v(x,t) + x so that in both cases.... umm then i get stuck.

6. Apr 25, 2009 #5
    No-one at all?

7. Apr 26, 2009 #6
    So far ive got that:
    [tex] U_{st} (x) = x [/tex]
    (a) Find the steady state solution, ust(x), by solving [tex]\frac{\delta ^{2} U_{st} }{\delta x^{2}} = 0 [/tex] and applying the boundary
    conditions. (You will only be able to determine one of the two arbitrary constants).

confused here, surely [tex] U_{st} (x) = x + c[/tex] (as boundary conditions given are derivitives)

then initial condition:

[tex]
    \frac{\partial u}{\partial t}(x,0)=0
    [/tex]

given means that c = 0? :S

8. Apr 26, 2009 #7
    Latex is fail :(

So far ive got that:
    U_st (x) = x
    (a) Find the steady state solution, u_st(x), by solving (partial second derivitive u by x = 0) and applying the boundary
    conditions. (You will only be able to determine one of the two arbitrary constants).

confused here, surely U_st (x) = x + c (as boundary conditions given are derivitives)

then initial condition:

(as above... in first post)

given means that c = 0? :S

9. Apr 27, 2009 #8
    Can no one point me in the right direction?

10. May 10, 2009 #9
    Instead of integrating the BC, you may differentiate the solution you get and then apply the BC.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook