Mentor
- 50,900
- 26,925
Jimmy87 said:I'm talking about the wave function value - the one you said I need to know the answer to - "the complex value of the wavefunction" which I still don't know yet.
Once again: the answer is right in front of you.
Jimmy87 said:I totally get that the wavefunction is useful because you can apply energy, momentum, position operators etc on it to get really useful information.
And in order to do that, you need to know the (complex) value of the wave function for all possible values of ##x## and ##p##. That is the answer to your question.
Jimmy87 said:you said "the complex value of the wavefunction is one of the most basic ideas of QM, and if you don't understand that, you won't be able to understand anything else." I still can't find an answer to this.
Because knowing the complex value of the wave function, as a function of its input variables, is necessary in order to do anything else--because without it, you can't apply any operators to get any predictions for measurements.