1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave mechanics vs Statistical Mechanics

1. Aug 17, 2015 #1
    Is it accurate to say that interference cannot happen in Statistical Mechanics? I know it is considered a wave mechanics phenomenon but aren't waves just highly statistical ensembles, like anything else?

I always thought that Fourier says periodic spectra could be summed to create any signal. As such any distribution is a sum of "waves", and vice versus.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Interference doesn't play a role in Statistical Mechanics (at least as far as I remember, but if it does, it's not as central as in wave mechanics). To say it cannot happen is weird. Where does this question come from ?

And yes, Fourier decomposition is a change of basis that goes from one basis to describe a function to another. Both bases are complete and orthogonal.

4. Aug 17, 2015 #3
    Thanks. I don't think it is central to the thread below at all. It did confuse me though. I think I lean pretty heavily on the picture I have of the series-to-frequency dual, especially when trying to follow conversations about QM. I can picture a set of composite "waves" that are randomly different from each other except for one frequency component. I had this cartoon of the Rogue Wave phenomenon. It seemed totally legitimate to me to picture them as a set of statistical ensembles that "interfere" specifically. But maybe that is not a good way to remember it.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/basic-questions-about-decoherence.827771/#post-5200884

5. Aug 17, 2015 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I see where it comes from. Ask Bhobba, he seems to be a lot better equipped than I am (did QM and Stat Mech but never had to worry about interference in the latter).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook