Wave mechanics vs Statistical Mechanics

In summary, interference does not play a central role in Statistical Mechanics, although it may occur in certain cases. Fourier decomposition is a method of changing the basis for describing a function, and both bases are complete and orthogonal. In the context of discussing quantum mechanics, it may be helpful to picture composite "waves" with random differences, but this may not always be an accurate representation.
Jimster41
Is it accurate to say that interference cannot happen in Statistical Mechanics? I know it is considered a wave mechanics phenomenon but aren't waves just highly statistical ensembles, like anything else?

I always thought that Fourier says periodic spectra could be summed to create any signal. As such any distribution is a sum of "waves", and vice versus.

Physics news on Phys.org
Interference doesn't play a role in Statistical Mechanics (at least as far as I remember, but if it does, it's not as central as in wave mechanics). To say it cannot happen is weird. Where does this question come from ?

And yes, Fourier decomposition is a change of basis that goes from one basis to describe a function to another. Both bases are complete and orthogonal.

Thanks. I don't think it is central to the thread below at all. It did confuse me though. I think I lean pretty heavily on the picture I have of the series-to-frequency dual, especially when trying to follow conversations about QM. I can picture a set of composite "waves" that are randomly different from each other except for one frequency component. I had this cartoon of the Rogue Wave phenomenon. It seemed totally legitimate to me to picture them as a set of statistical ensembles that "interfere" specifically. But maybe that is not a good way to remember it.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/basic-questions-about-decoherence.827771/#post-5200884

I see where it comes from. Ask Bhobba, he seems to be a lot better equipped than I am (did QM and Stat Mech but never had to worry about interference in the latter).

1. What is the difference between wave mechanics and statistical mechanics?

Wave mechanics and statistical mechanics are two different approaches used to describe the behavior of particles at the microscopic level. Wave mechanics, also known as quantum mechanics, focuses on the wave-like nature of particles and uses mathematical equations to predict the probability of finding a particle in a specific location. On the other hand, statistical mechanics uses probability and statistical methods to describe the collective behavior of a large number of particles.

2. Which approach is more accurate in describing the behavior of particles?

Both wave mechanics and statistical mechanics have been successful in predicting and explaining the behavior of particles. However, wave mechanics is considered to be more accurate when dealing with individual particles, while statistical mechanics is better suited for describing the behavior of large systems with a large number of particles.

3. Can wave mechanics and statistical mechanics be used together?

Yes, wave mechanics and statistical mechanics are often used together in modern physics. By combining the two approaches, scientists can have a more comprehensive understanding of the behavior of particles and systems at the microscopic level.

4. What are some real-life applications of wave mechanics and statistical mechanics?

Wave mechanics has been used to explain various phenomena such as the behavior of electrons in an atom, the properties of materials, and the behavior of light. Statistical mechanics has been applied in fields such as thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, and information theory to describe the behavior of large systems.

5. Which approach is more commonly used in modern physics?

Both wave mechanics and statistical mechanics are widely used in modern physics, depending on the specific phenomenon being studied. However, statistical mechanics is more commonly used in fields such as thermodynamics, while wave mechanics is more frequently used in fields such as quantum mechanics and particle physics.