Wave particle duality as applied to photon

In summary, the wave-particle duality principle states that matter can behave as both a particle and a wave. This is reconciled through quantum mechanics' statistical interpretation and the math construct of a matter wave. The same situation applies to photons, where a single photon is described as a quantum mechanical particle, but when there are large numbers of photons, their effects can be described as classical electromagnetic waves. However, this cannot be done for matter particles due to their fermionic nature. The idea of a matter wave also being an electromagnetic wave may be difficult to reconcile, but it is a familiar concept in quantum mechanics.
ArielGenesis
so basically a wave particle duality principle state that sometimes a "matter" would behave as a particle and a wave a another time. The was to reconcile this is through QM's statistical interpretation and the math construct is very obvious that such proposed matter is indeed a wave-particle in duality. The wave is a matter wave or probability wave.

Now my question is, how about light, or photon. Is it an EM wave or a probability wave?

Physics news on Phys.org
The situation with the photon is the same as with the "matter" particle like electron.

When we have a single photon (or a "few" of them) we must deal with it as a QM particle (which is different from a classical particle) in probabilistic terms.

When we have bazillions and bazillions of photons, as we do in most "everyday" situations, we can describe their combined effects in terms of classical electromagnetic waves.

jtbell said:
When we have bazillions and bazillions of photons, as we do in most "everyday" situations, we can describe their combined effects in terms of classical electromagnetic waves.
It is interesting to note that we cannot do that for matter particles, because matter particles are fermions so you cannot have many fermions in the same state. A more technical way to say this is that fermions cannot be in a coherent state.

so, a single photon cannot be described as an EM wave?

I mean I fully understand the idea that particle is a matter-wave. I am doing QM so it is pretty familiar.

The problem is I that I cannot yet reconcile the idea that a matter wave is an EM wave as well. I have no idea what that means.

1. What is wave-particle duality as applied to photons?

Wave-particle duality is the concept that a photon, which is a fundamental unit of light, can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. This means that photons can have characteristics of both waves, such as interference and diffraction, and particles, such as momentum and energy.

2. How was wave-particle duality first discovered in relation to photons?

The concept of wave-particle duality was first proposed by physicist Albert Einstein in 1905 in his explanation of the photoelectric effect, which showed that light can behave as both a wave and a stream of particles. This was further supported by experiments conducted by physicists Max Planck and Louis de Broglie.

3. How does wave-particle duality apply to the behavior of photons?

Wave-particle duality is evident in the behavior of photons through phenomena such as diffraction, where light waves can bend and spread out, and the photoelectric effect, where photons have discrete packets of energy that can cause electrons to be emitted from a material. It also explains the dual nature of light in the double-slit experiment, where photons can interfere with each other like waves.

4. What are the practical applications of understanding wave-particle duality in photons?

The understanding of wave-particle duality in photons has led to important technological advancements, such as the development of lasers, fiber optics, and digital cameras. It has also helped to explain various phenomena in quantum mechanics and has been crucial in the development of theories such as the Standard Model of particle physics.

5. Is it possible to fully understand the wave-particle duality of photons?

The concept of wave-particle duality is still a subject of debate and research in the scientific community. While we have a good understanding of how it applies to photons, there is still much to learn and discover about the fundamental nature of light and its behavior. As technology and research continue to advance, our understanding of wave-particle duality may evolve and deepen.