Wave Potential of Slamming a Household door?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Thomas Birrings
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I have a physics question about slamming doors and explosions. I've heard before that an explosion releases shock waves through the air that can severely damage a person's vital organs. Recently, I had a door slammed in my face (not literally, it did not hit my face). This wasn't a normal "door slam," it was unbelievably hard. The person was trying to slam it as hard as they physically could because they were angry with me. My ears rang for a while afterwards. My question is: is it possible for a person, in slamming a door, to produce a damaging shock wave in the air for a person standing right there? Sort of like a lesser version of the bomb explosion? Or is the most anyone could do is make a gust of "wind?"
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I very much doubt it. Why not estimate how much kinetic energy the door might have?
 
Possibly it was the door hitting the frame that made the noise that caused your ears to ring .

Not usually a problem in domestic doors but large metal on metal doors found in industry can sometimes make your ears ring for days if slammed shut carelessly .