1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave Potential of Slamming a Household door?

1. Oct 23, 2015 #1
    I have a physics question about slamming doors and explosions. I've heard before that an explosion releases shock waves through the air that can severely damage a person's vital organs. Recently, I had a door slammed in my face (not literally, it did not hit my face). This wasn't a normal "door slam," it was unbelievably hard. The person was trying to slam it as hard as they physically could because they were angry with me. My ears rang for a while afterwards. My question is: is it possible for a person, in slamming a door, to produce a damaging shock wave in the air for a person standing right there? Sort of like a lesser version of the bomb explosion? Or is the most anyone could do is make a gust of "wind?"

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2015 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I very much doubt it. Why not estimate how much kinetic energy the door might have?

4. Oct 24, 2015 #3

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Possibly it was the door hitting the frame that made the noise that caused your ears to ring .

Not usually a problem in domestic doors but large metal on metal doors found in industry can sometimes make your ears ring for days if slammed shut carelessly .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook